idle srew question

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You are just backwards. The idle screw has a small nub on the end that moves into a slot in the throttle drum. As you screw it in, (clockwise) it blocks the downward movement of the throttle thereby increasing the rpm. Unscrewing, (counter clockwise) allows the throttle (needle) to move lower which reduces fuel flow and engine speed.
Tom

masterx1234

May 7, 2009
grayson Kentucky
ok thanks for the reply, i am so new to this and im really nervous about my bike, i rode it earlier (9:00 PM) and it went full blast on me, then i knew what i did wrong, i forgot to put the u shaped flat piece inside the end that went into the carberator, the needle wasnt being pushed down by the spring so the bike went so fast i just hit the kill switch (thank god it worked), and also, i have one of the kill switch wires wired to the nut that holds the muffler on, is this ok?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
ok thanks for the reply, i am so new to this and im really nervous about my bike, i rode it earlier (9:00 PM) and it went full blast on me, then i knew what i did wrong, i forgot to put the u shaped flat piece inside the end that went into the carberator, the needle wasnt being pushed down by the spring so the bike went so fast i just hit the kill switch (thank god it worked), and also, i have one of the kill switch wires wired to the nut that holds the muffler on, is this ok?
You didn't say where the other wire from your kill switch is going but apparently it is on the blue wire from the engine if it works. Below is a diagram showing the prefered way to wire the ignition/kill switch.
Glad you were not injured and figured out the throttle problem. Have fun and ride careful.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
My idle screw seems to do nothing at all? I adjust it using the cable adjustment screw. What up with that? I'll try it again tomorrow after its warmed up. I seemed to be assembled correctly. I took my time with that part of the build, every part really.

My kill matches your diagram don't work. POS I'll replace it with something. Can a new switch be installed in the handle in the stock location? Like an on/off push button?

Glad yours worked!

2door - that other problem was just the nut holding the sprocket on came off! LOL I thought something weird was going on when I could go back but it would go fwd. I pedaled it three mi. home that way. So it wore a nice groove in the actuator and a tiny, tiny piece of the infamous wood ruff key fell out.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
heres how my engine is supposed to be hooked up accordint to the instructions that came with my motor, it works too.
If you remove the magneto cover and look at the wiring inside, you'll see that the black wire is a ground. It is attached to the magneto with an eyelet terminal and the mag is attached to the motor case. I fail to see why you'd need a seperate ground wire unless you're going to use the white wire for a light. The seperate ground wire could then be used to complete the circuit through the lamp/s.
I'm not arguing with your instructions just stating a fact.
Tom