New guy, what to get?

GoldenMotor.com

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
I know there are a lot of "What to get" threads and I hate to start another one, but as any other person, my want's might be unique.

A little about myself first. I'm 53 years old, 6'0 tall, 198 pounds, ex motocrosser and long time mountain biker. This build would be just for fun riding around the neighborhood. My fabrication skills are above average and I have access to a Bridgeport mill, lathe and pretty much every tool I'll ever need.

My goal is to stay under $1000, run a 4 stroke under 50cc and maybe a stretched beach cruiser type bike that all fits together well and looks like it belongs, not like an "add on" sorta deal.

Another option is I have a Klein Attitude frame collecting dust but since is aluminum and so light, I wouldn't want to drill a hole through the frame.

So a suggestion for a bike and an engine combo that isn't Huffy quality and if I can get a 4 stroke that fits well and all under $1000, I would be ordering stuff tonight! .shft.

Thanks and this is a great forum!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The Kleins are great for mountain biking but too brittle for motorizing, in my opinion. Tensile steel (older than 2000) or chromo frames are sure bets for durability. I initially motorized a chromo mountain bike, but found that it steered too quick at speed and the seat height was fine for mountain biking but too high for a motorbike while waiting at traffic lights. I think you can build a nice thumper for a grand.

Last edited:

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
The Kleins are great for mountain biking but too brittle for motorizing, in my opinion. Tensile steel (older than 2000) or chromo frames are sure bets for durability. I initially motorized a chromo mountain bike, but found that it steered too quick at speed and the seat height was fine for mountain biking but too high for a motorbike while waiting at traffic lights. I think you can build a nice thumper for a grand.
Thanks, you confirmed my thoughts.

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
$1000 is a nice budget. Cruisers always look better, but are a little more difficult for mounting. In particular I had a lot of trouble, but I'll tell you about that.

Steel frame for sure. Aluminum is not as strong. I got my bike at walmart and I made sure it had a steel frame.

If possible, I would try my best to get yourself a 29er, but getting that size with a steel frame will be a little more expensive, but within your budget. You will enjoy the extra room and height for sure.

Now, let me stress this people might disagree with me, but I had a very difficult problem with my cruiser, only because it was multiple speed. I will recommend that you absolutely get a single speed cruiser.

My engine mounted, but the front and rear sprocket did not line up. Chain jumped all over, and I nearly broke the drive shaft once. Along with that, this is not safe. If your chain locks up while you ride, you can be thrown right over the handle bars. My $500 project turned into $800 after I took it to a chop shop to resolve the problem. Either that or I had to buy a new bike!

Not only that, but you said you just wanna get around the neighborhood. A single speed would be perfect for this, and will leave you with enough room to place spacers or washers if you need to align the rear sprocket.

Bottom line : Single Speed 29er, Steel frame Cruiser.

Find one of those and you'll be set. Good luck!

greentek

Mar 8, 2011
Victorville, California
Hey, Check out My Bike it’s a 26” w/ small frame never again nothing under a 19” frame
& if you are going to run a shift kit, make sure you have at least about 2” from the seat post to the rear tire and you can run a #410 chain. Also aluminum is ok, but what I did was I got a second seat post, measured and used a pipe cutter and put it all the way down in there with the original seat post on top, it is working fine. Think it through real good cause once you pound it in there that’s it. A one time deal. But it does a great job and keeps it real stiff. My bike runs great. And the boost bottle & pipe give it 2-3+ more HP
If you like trail hills you need a 34 tooth on the rear 1 st gear.
Take a look
‪Motorized bicycle with Jackshaft Kit A +‬‏ - YouTube

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Wow!

I am learning just what the wheel bender said !

MTB are not a great thing for most casual use.
Frame is wrong.

lol u might as well get a wallyworld bike and a rawmotors 48cc kit and learn abt all the fun stuff like the rest of us... lol

...and get a hub adapter from manicmechanic or Sportscar Pat !
A rag joint is something no one should really mess with! :)

Maybe abt $400 and you can ride away in one afternoon's assembly time, then begin plotting a superior build with the rest of that moolah !

Best
rc

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
Thanks guys and like anything else, it might be wise to take baby steps. For my first try I may go cheap with a cheaper 2 stroke and maybe something slightly above a Wallyworld bike to start with.

strotter

Aug 7, 2008
My $.02

I have had a HT on a beach cruiser.
Then a HT on a mountain bike with a SBP shift kit
Beach cruiser with a Titan 50 4 stroke (honda clone) on a scooterguy mount
Staton friction drive with a Honda 50
Staton axle mount with a Subaru 35
Golden eagle (belt drive) with a Honda 35
Current ride: Staton friction with a Titan GT50R (2-stroke)

With that experience: Here are my thoughts
I wouldn't run a HT even if you gave it to me.
Golden eagle is the quietest.
The Honda 50 is a stump puller.
I will never buy a Honda clone again.
Saton gearboxs take 1000 miles to break in...... and then are still louder then everything else.

Last edited:

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I agree with what people are saying.

You may just wanna get a two stroke. The grubee's are a little better than the rest from what I've heard, but still need a lot of maintenance for sure.

If you're gonna get a 4 stroke though, Bikeberry just stocked the new Grubee 5G (wish I had it!!)

4-Stroke Pull Start 48cc Bicycle Engine Kit EPA Certified BikeBerry.com

Definitely figure in a MM hub adaptor (mmbikeparts.com) into your budget because the one's that come with the kit drive the spokes, messing up your wheel, and are impossible to align anyway. They'll machine you a custom adaptor and sprocket.

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
Although I wanted a 4 stroke, I just ordered this. Hope I did ok.

RAW Silver 50cc Bicycle Engine Kit

Suggestions for must haves are welcomed.

Not sure on what bike to get yet, but most likely Itll a ballooned tire type cruiser just above the Walmart grade. Suggestions on that are welcomed also.

Thanks guys.

dance1

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Order a hub adapter quickly !!!!!

(so you'll never, ever have to mess with a rag joint!)

and get a nice wide seat with springs... this is different than pedal biking where you frequently stand up to pedal. You shall be sitting ALL the time, even when pedal starting!

I personally like taller handlebars
a luggage rack
fenders
lights
speedo/odometer is fun
Cheapo toolset to carry with you
chainbreaker (take two links from the chain if possible)

I wish I had a mirror! lol and will get one soon!

You'll have loads of fun!
Dinky little things that are easy to work on... and that's a good thing, because they require frequent attention.

Read as many of the threads as you can here before the kit arrives!!!!
There is SO much valuable info here!

Best
rc

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
Order a hub adapter quickly !!!!!

(so you'll never, ever have to mess with a rag joint!)

and get a nice wide seat with springs... this is different than pedal biking where you frequently stand up to pedal. You shall be sitting ALL the time, even when pedal starting!

I personally like taller handlebars
a luggage rack
fenders
lights
speedo/odometer is fun
Cheapo toolset to carry with you
chainbreaker (take two links from the chain if possible)

I wish I had a mirror! lol and will get one soon!

You'll have loads of fun!
Dinky little things that are easy to work on... and that's a good thing, because they require frequent attention.

Read as many of the threads as you can here before the kit arrives!!!!
There is SO much valuable info here!

Best
rc
Thanks rc, do you have a link to a hub adapter?

I have all the tools to work on bikes since I have built a few MTBs.

I'm heading to Walmart just to look around anyway. What the heck...

.cs.

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
I ended up with an $80 Cranny. I can't believe I bought a Huffy. lol

Frame looks good, welds look good but I don't like the color. Ill prolly make it a board tracker/rat rod bike.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
When I first put my bike together....it was roughly 1000 bucks including the bike.

http://i.imgur.com/Rt3XC.jpg

It's friction drive- you could get a decent bike, a thatsdax motor and friction drive and be well under a grand. I like the friction drive because it's so simple. Sure, it has some disadvantages-the chief one is that you can't ride when it's wet out.

Try changing a flat tire on a wally world bike with a frame mounted engine......I can change a flat on my bike in less then 5 minutes. I guess that comes from my mountain biking days- back then I could change out a tube and be back riding in less then 90 seconds :)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Very nice mtb, Gary.
Glad you decided not to ruin it with an ht !
Maybe a Morini some day???? :)

Manicmechanic or SportscarPat both sell hub adapters and there is controversy over which might be better... your choice! lol

I can not stress enough that you shall NEED brakes for that wallybike!
Great looking bike frame and all that, but confidence in a coaster brake will get you in serious trouble leaving you with no options to recover.
I don't have the savvy to advise you specifically on brake improvement for that bike. Someone knowledgeable will.

Spokes on the wallybike will stretch like crazy... 'til about the time the back wheel bearings go bad... by then you will have learned about Worksman wheels and Husky wheels...

...and my 2cents would be to get some apes and ride the cruiser as a comfort bike while you select parts for a boardtrack replica.

Best
rc

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
Very nice mtb, Gary.
Glad you decided not to ruin it with an ht !
Maybe a Morini some day???? :)

Manicmechanic or SportscarPat both sell hub adapters and there is controversy over which might be better... your choice! lol

I can not stress enough that you shall NEED brakes for that wallybike!
Great looking bike frame and all that, but confidence in a coaster brake will get you in serious trouble leaving you with no options to recover.
I don't have the savvy to advise you specifically on brake improvement for that bike. Someone knowledgeable will.

Spokes on the wallybike will stretch like crazy... 'til about the time the back wheel bearings go bad... by then you will have learned about Worksman wheels and Husky wheels...

...and my 2cents would be to get some apes and ride the cruiser as a comfort bike while you select parts for a boardtrack replica.

Best
rc
I hear ya on the coaster brake, and I did a lot of reading today and the usual noob questions but rather than run this thread into the ground Ill start a new build thread in the cruiser section.

Thanks guys. This is gonna be fun!

dance1