How to make custom gas tanks...

GoldenMotor.com

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
I just got done finishing my aforementioned metal tank with duplicolor for a base coat and Lustrekote clear on top of that and it worked out great. The two paints are compatible, and it cured to a nice hard and very shiny finish. I didn't notice any yellowing, but with the cream color that I'm using it would be hard to tell anyway.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i made a tank out of a nos energy drink bottle i took a extra lid drilled a hole in it inserted tube and used a bunch of tape as a sealer didnt hold up long but was interesting oh i hung it upside down from the handle bar

i know not exactly what you looking for but yeah

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
I cleared over a faux engine turned look on a sporster tank 30 years ago,It looked cool for a while then it started to rust under the clear.
I figured because it wasn't primered.Haven't tried it since.
With all the newer clears now it might work!
Has any one had a cleared over raw metal paint job for any length of time?Kip.
[email protected]

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
What about fiberglass tanks? I've built two metal tanks, only one of them worked out in the end and I'm still not happy with it. I'm not that great at welding, but I do know a thing or two about composites. Over the winter I plan to replace my crappy metal tank with a fiberglass one.

Since I haven't done it yet, I can't tell you much about making a tank out of this stuff other than- you must use epoxy resin. As I understand it, polyester is not resistant to gasoline.
I have heard different things about layup plies in fiberglass tanks reacting to ethanol blends. Not sure if pre-lining them with ethanol safe 2 part helps. Anyone else have any info?

I just ordered a filler neck as I said in this thread and will start making a 2 part mold soon to try one. Hopefully I have my camera back to document the layup.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Google "filler tube and vented caps" they are available in steel also just without the flange like the one I ordered has that I need for a fiberglass layup. See the previous post I made above linking to the other tank thread as there is a link in it for some vented bung caps there too.

Last edited:

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I guess I'm going to have to look into this I've been looking for a different tank than comes with the kit for my stingray chopper build but I'd like to pay less for it than I did my bike, motor and all the options and accessories combined.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Yea Hammond the custom tanks are a bit pricey but if you consider what is entailed in their construction and materials you will see why they are as expensive as they are. I will be be starting one as a trial in the next couple of weeks. I have decided I will do a hybrid aluminum and fiberglass tank for the first try and see how it comes out. I will do my best to document the steps and frustrations as they arise.

On a side not check your inbox I sent you a logo I did some time back for a restaurant with your moniker as their name...

I guess I'm going to have to look into this I've been looking for a different tank than comes with the kit for my stingray chopper build but I'd like to pay less for it than I did my bike, motor and all the options and accessories combined.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I got your PM. Cute logo. Here is something like what I've got in mind. bike gas tank sears items - Get great deals on eBay Motors items on eBay.com!

I'm a semi-retired jig and fixture builder so I can do the layout and lofting and my neighbor is an amatuer engineer/fabricator/welder. If it works out I'll buy a sheet metal brake and press and put him to work.
I am also semi (cough) retired LOL... I like more rounded shapes than most applications can deliver in sheet metal without a powered forming hammer so that is the reason I am thinking of a rolled and broke aluminum top member for my tank with a set of concave laid up sides to mate to it out of fiberglass for the sides and then bond those to the tank top and bottom.

Have fun and keep me apprised on your progress you sound like you and your friend got it going on...

Last edited:

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I am also semi (cough) retired LOL... I like more rounded shapes than most applications can deliver in sheet metal without a powered forming hammer so that is the reason I am thinking of a rolled and broke aluminum top member for my tank with a set of concave laid up sides to mate to it out of fiberglass for the sides and then bond those to the tank top and bottom.

Have fun and keep me apprised on your progress you sound like you and your friend got it going on...
I remembered reading some where that aluminum and fiberglass don't bond well together because aluminum oxidizes within seconds of being cleaned. It may have been from a boat repair book so it might have been for structural applications. It might be fine for a gas tank but You won't know until you try!

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I remembered reading some where that aluminum and fiberglass don't bond well together because aluminum oxidizes within seconds of being cleaned. It may have been from a boat repair book so it might have been for structural applications. It might be fine for a gas tank but You won't know until you try!
Hey Rupp one of the tricks to bonding to aluminum is to make sure it is freshly cleaned just prior to bonding and making sure it is well roughed up before applying the epoxy. I also punch or drill alot of holes around the edge of the surface I am bonding to to make sure the epoxy gets to the layer below the metal and that helps to keep the plies from separating. I know for sure I will be doing this around the filler cap on the flange to make sure it doesn't have a chance to separate and spin in between the layers from repeatedly taking the cap on and off...

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
Here's an epoxy/'glass tank I just finished (except painted side panels). It has aluminum filler bungs epoxied in place, notched to resist turning. Painted/antiqued copper finish with painted solder joints. Epoxy deteriorates in ethanol fuels so if I was using gas (this is a water tank for a steam bike), I would line it.

Last edited: