HUFFY Cranbrook vs it's Schwinn Twin

GoldenMotor.com

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
Schwinn has a bike similar to the Cranbrook but with gears and (my words) "luggage carrier"

Just a little higher in cost but the frame is aluminum

Is it OK for motoring?

yodar

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
many on this forum say to stay away from the Alum. Frames for motorizing, I have not used one myself but knowing how easy thin Alum. can fractor under intense vibration I would not trust the Alum. frame nearly as much as I would the steel, but again there are probably several people that have used Alum. frame with good success but I would imagine that the frames they used are thicker and higher quality than the cheap Big Box Store Schwinn type frames, the steel frames of the cranbrook type bikes have even been known to crack with some who have used them, I have one that is a cheaper Huffy frame just like the Cranbrook but so far it is holding up just fine but only time will tell, I say find you a good multispeed bike with a steel frame, Schwinn make sthose also and I believe K-Mart carries those and I'll bet they can also be found on amazon.com.

also Check out the Vendors on the forum who carry the Micargi bikes, they seem to be used quite a bit with the motors. I'm not sure who all has them but I know Pirate Cycles does.

I say skip the Alum. frame......just my $.02

Last edited:

WaterDog

Sep 12, 2010
Miami / Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I believe you are speaking of the schwinn delmar, which is the one with a rack over the rear wheel. 119 in store and 99 if bought online. I just ordered one and it due to arrive next week. However, the website and all documentation i have seen says it has a steel frame. I compared both in person. If you are above 5'10" i doubt you will comfortable on the cranbrook. It is substancially shorter. Otherwise, the quality seemed to be very close.

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
Thanks, friend! I sorta HOPED it was steel. Hope you're right. K-Mart Has them. is that from whom you ordered online?

Yodar

WaterDog

Sep 12, 2010
Miami / Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I bought mine from walmart. I saw it set up in the store and it appears to be steel, plus thats what all the descriptions said. Walmart has it in electric blue. I really wanted it in black, so i may paint the frame. But the rims are blue which cant be painted since i am putting on front side pull brakes. Who knows, maybe ill keep it blue and save myself the trouble. Honestly, for a hunfred bucks, it seems like the best deal out there. And please heed my warning about size. The cranbrook is short and you really sit straight up and cramped, but im 6'1". The handlebars are also at an uncomfortable angle for me compared to the delmar.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I bought mine from walmart. I saw it set up in the store and it appears to be steel, plus thats what all the descriptions said. Walmart has it in electric blue. I really wanted it in black, so i may paint the frame. But the rims are blue which cant be painted since i am putting on front side pull brakes. Who knows, maybe ill keep it blue and save myself the trouble. Honestly, for a hunfred bucks, it seems like the best deal out there. And please heed my warning about size. The cranbrook is short and you really sit straight up and cramped, but im 6'1". The handlebars are also at an uncomfortable angle for me compared to the delmar.

WaterDog, you are right on about the cranbrook frame being short, I have one that is not called the cranbrook but is the same frame, I am 5'10" 200lbs and I am cramped on it while peddling and turning, the handle bars are the biggest draw back on the bike for me, so I am gonna put ape hangers on it and a setback seat post to give me a little more room and then it will be better I hope if not I'll be putting the engine on a better frame I have ( The Last Pic ).

Attachments

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I like the Cranbrook. I bought one last year and still like it. Steel frame and all. Now, I would say that if you're looking at bikes right now at Wal-Mart, check out all the bikes. They have some that have the thicker 12-gauge spokes and some with 14 gauge spokes. I think the Cranbrook has 14 gauge spokes on it. IF I were to do it all over again, I'd shop for the wheels with the thicker spokes. I changed mine out to Husky wheels and the difference was substantial. You may pay 20-30 dollars more, but, I've got that much just in the rear tire replacement on my Cranbrook. Plus, they've got a wider rim also.

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
The WalMart Huffy Cranbrook's do have 12 ga. spokes for 2010 as well as wider steel rims and a higher flange style front hub. I've built two this year. Same carppy rear coaster brake. The Micargi I built starting end of '09 has slightly better rear brake and alloy rims. Not much better. Still think Wally bikes are a good place to start. Cheap and you'll get to learn a lot by constant repairs. At least you won't spend a bundle to see if you like the Hobby! Hey 'mapbike' I'm also 5'10" and 200 lbs.. Know what you mean about Cramped on a Cranny!

Last edited:

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I believe you are speaking of the schwinn delmar, which is the one with a rack over the rear wheel. 119 in store and 99 if bought online. I just ordered one and it due to arrive next week. However, the website and all documentation i have seen says it has a steel frame. I compared both in person. If you are above 5'10" i doubt you will comfortable on the cranbrook. It is substancially shorter. Otherwise, the quality seemed to be very close.
It's not the Delmar

It is a black bike I believe it is call a Riverside, very very similar to the Point Beach
probably same bike with a different paint scheme