New 2 smoke I built from bottom up is running strong so far

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Well, for any who remember I had a major 66cc engine failure a few months ago on a bike I had put together, BGF sold me a new jug at a very nice price and Jim at Manic Mechanic made me a great deal on a new piston, pin, upper roller bearing & rings, I also bought an entire used lower engine case that still had a good crank & rod in it from StrontiumEthics I finally got it built last week and mounted it on the bike yesterday, I milled .012 off of the stock slant head and smoothed up the ports in the jug and the blocks transfer ports, so far I have put 26 miles on it in the last 2 days and that booger is running real nice, I have a 36T on the rear that I made up from from a crank sprocket that was on a little 16"kids bike and I built my chain tensioner roller from a skateboard wheel and it all works real nice, it runs real smooth up to 35mph before it starts the butt buzzing vibration at 37mph, but if it does like the engine on my mountain bike it will settle down after a couple hundred miles and get a lot better in that area, I still need to build an expansion chamber exhaust and I may tweak the carb. a bit depending on how it runs out but so far I am very happy to have this engine back together, I could have bought another engine for less than it cost me to completely rebuild this one but the one I have now is a much better than new out of the box engine plus I had the enjoyment of doing it, dont have any real good pics of it yet but here are a couple I took yesterday evening of the bike and the tensioner.

Shan

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thats one heck of a tensioner setup.

Does it work well ?
Solid as a rock....! I know it is a bit "Frankenstein-ish" but it is very sturdy and living in the country as I do and having to ride my bikes down 3+ miles of rough dirt road before I even see pavement I need things to be stout enough to take the abuse I put them through, I know many people like setting the bikes up without a tensioner at all and I agree that with a chain that has quit stretching that is maybe the way to go, but as for me I wont a good strong tensioner that will allow me to make adjustments as the chain and sprockets wear in over time, this tensioner is gonna be ther until I move it or take it off not much chance of failure based on the thickness of the material and the high grade bolts and nuts I used, and the skate board wheel i used as my roller is a very tough material that should last for a very long time as well, just a solid simple design that works, thats the way I like to do things.
.flg.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
one thing i've learned about vibrations, is a lot of it can come from the exhaust pipe. i just worked on a bike that vibrated really bad, and while riding it, i held my foot against it (a little melted shoe never hurt anyone) and the vibes disappeared.

i made a strap for it out of a strip of aluminum, and it cured the problem.

a simple fix for a common problem, might just help you out...