PVC works for me......

GoldenMotor.com

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Love the original pvc tank very inventive. Don't throw away your leaky tank, regular silicone from any hardware store will seal it up permanently. Had that problem on a motorcycle tank, the stuff is still holding since 1970. I still ride the bike to this day a 1969 Triumph.

junked

May 2, 2010
Mass.
Love the original pvc tank very inventive. Don't throw away your leaky tank, regular silicone from any hardware store will seal it up permanently. Had that problem on a motorcycle tank, the stuff is still holding since 1970. I still ride the bike to this day a 1969 Triumph.
I'll give the silicone a try. I have Permatex RTV Blue, do you think that will work?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Personally, I would stay away from silicone, JB Weld, and just about anything besides solder or brazing to stop a leak....the additives in modern gas will eventually eat through just about everything, except vinyl ester resin.

junked

May 2, 2010
Mass.
I'd go the Ultra Grey, after a good cleaning with MEK or acetone. Is that a galvanized pipe cap for your gas cap?
The cap is brass. I used a 3/4" close nipple (brass) tapped into the PVC elbow. The cap is vented and I made a plastic baffle to prevent leakage. The PVC is 2" SDR21, same material as SCH40 but with a thinner wall.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Now I have been taught that gasoline, especially ethanol, will eat away at PVC and PVC glue.

junked, please keep us informed as to how well this works out for you in the long run.
The possibilities are endless if it actually works out.

junked

May 2, 2010
Mass.
So Far so good with no leaks. I found this chart Berghof/America: Chemical Resistance Chart listing chemical resistance of various materials including PVC. I think the PVC Cement, as it is called is of bigger concern than the PVC itself. To join PVC you should first use the "cleaner", witch softens the PVC, and then apply the cement. Once joined you have about 3 seconds for adjustment before the joint is rock solid. As good as that is, I still don't know how well the PVC cement withstands constant exposure to Gasoline.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
My understanding is that regular PVC cement and "cleaner" won't hold up to gasoline, I used "Seal All" to glue my tank together and it worked fine. There are a variety of adhesives that will work fine to glue the pvc together, go to your local auto parts store and you should be able to find something.