Advice and direction needed for tandem

GoldenMotor.com

jerryw50

Feb 9, 2010
Pennsylvania
I'm a first time builder and decided on a specific build project. I plan on using the Marcagi 26" Island Tandem bike as the basis. I'm looking for recommendations and what is needed to be able to frame mount in the captains area a 2 stroker, and be able to install the sick shift kit to take advantage of the multi gear ranges that will be needed. I live in an area of souther PA which has lots of gentle rolling hills. I've been following this forum, but can't seem to come up with what is needed. I do plan on leaving the other components of the bike (brakes, wheels, etc.) all original. Thanks for helping out. I'll certainly post pics and info for others to follow in the future.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Jerry, Welcome To The Forum. The One Problem That Comes To Mind; The Front And Rear Pedals Are Locked Together For Safty When Turning, So One Of The Pedals Will Not Hook The Ground. The Problem Comes When You Try To Use The Free Wheel Bearing With The Shift Kit. If You Powered The Rear Pedal System That Would Solve Some Issues. I Think Different Model Tandems Have Chain Setups On Different Sides Of Frame Also. It Is Going To Take Some Thinking To Accomplish. I Gave Up On Mine!! Lol. Good Luck. Keep Us Posted If You Will. Ron

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
You have picked a project that is going to present quite a few challenges to overcome. You might get your best information by contacting the guys at Sick Bike Parts. They have alot of knowledge and are very good about sharing it. There is a very good chance that they will tell you that it just isn't feasible Due to all of the custom fabrication work that will probably have to be done. The feature that makes the Shifter Kits work is the Freewheeling crankset. To make this work from the front triangle is going to require freewheeling chainrings on both sides of both BB's I think?

ocscully

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I have actually built a tandem bike with a jack shaft. It originally had a two stroke motor but am now working on puting a harbor freight engine on it. http://motorbicycling.com/f37/another-harbor-freight-attempt-14533.html. I never intended to have a rear passenger and my design would not allow one either. If you want a passenger then Id reccomend a sick bike parts or Thats dax shfit kit and putting a freewheel on both cranks. I'd be expensive but I'd work. Your best bet is to call sick bike parts and tell them what your trying to do. good luck.