Quick decal question...

GoldenMotor.com

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
I plan on designing my own gas tank decals and I found info on waterslide decal paper that you can use in a laser/ink jet printer. The youtube video looks promising... and I think you can even apply clearcoat over the decal! Has anyone tried waterslide decals?

link to the video if interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8XuJ0Z3bbQ

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
I used decals on a sportster tank and sealed them with clear coat and it came out like factory. I have also made decals from scratch using an air brush onto decal film. It has been awhile but modelers have been doing this for years. If I recall correctly the paper has the clear film and adhesive on it. Paint is applied and then sealed with clear coat. Shape is cut out and applied much like the video. Hobby shops should stock a couple other solutions that help the decal flatten and dry nicely as well as decal film. As I say this was several years ago for me. The product in the video looks like the same concept except one can print the colors rather than using an air brush. Nice!

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've tried a couple of the printer friendly decal papers with less that desirable results. The ink jet printer doesn't give you a good opaque color; more translucent or semi-opaque. Also keep in mind you can't print white. Or at least most printers don't. K.I.P's idea looks like it would be better. Something else I can't find anymore is dry transfer (rub on) lettering. It used to be available at arts & crafts stores, hobby shops and even Ace hardware carried it. I've been told that computers have made dry transfers obsolete.
Tom

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
I might give it a shot... but I planned on painting the tank black first... if the decal is transparent on a printer it probably won't work... guess its worth a shot. You painted the harley decals yourself kip? nice stuff... but im not skilled with a brush enough to even try doing that!

Last edited:

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
I would love to take credit, but no those are after market decals. I have made decals however but don't have pics to prove that. This was a beat up chopper tank that I refinished. I did the airbrush and paint work. The decals are under a couple coats of clear coat. I wanted to show that decals can be used to good effect.

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
in other news I realized clear coating over a decal would void the idea of having an all flat appearance like I had originally planned on. Maybe I will just stick to some vinyl lettering. There are some pretty sweet waterslide decals of WWII pinups that would look awesome on a tank though. I have some time to decide yet... decisions decisions!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

There's clearcoats available in both semigloss and flat - yer mebbe jus' gonna hafta order it from somewhere as I've not seen it available "off the shelf" except in small quantities at a hobby supply store... ofc that might be all ya need anyway lol

examples only, shop around for better brand/prices;

12 OZ, Crystal Clear Coat, Flat Finish Spray Enamel

Eastwood Diamond Semi Gloss Satin Clear

edit: I'd reco goin' with the semigloss BTW - it's a **** of a LOT easier to keep clean & nice lookin' ;)

Last edited:

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
Understandable... nobody likes spam... in other news I realized clear coating over a decal would void the idea of having an all flat appearance like I had originally planned on. Maybe I will just stick to some vinyl lettering. There are some pretty sweet waterslide decals of WWII pinups that would look awesome on a tank though. I have some time to decide yet... decisions decisions!
Where are the sweet waterslide ww2 pinups at. That is what I am looking for

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
I guess it is popular to put WWII pinups on guitars... so there are many to choose from... harder to find mirrored images (for both sides of the tank) but I found a bunch just by doing an ebay search. I think they'd look nice on a bike... (while searching the net... somewhere... I actually saw a decal of a brunette pinup on an old baloon bike... lol... it was ironic)...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I guess it is popular to put WWII pinups on guitars... so there are many to choose from... harder to find mirrored images (for both sides of the tank) but I found a bunch just by doing an ebay search. I think they'd look nice on a bike... (while searching the net... somewhere... I actually saw a decal of a brunette pinup on an old baloon bike... lol... it was ironic)...
Was thinking, if you buy it, could scan and load it in MS Paint and make a mirror image.

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
I plan on designing my own gas tank decals and I found info on waterslide decal paper that you can use in a laser/ink jet printer. The youtube video looks promising... and I think you can even apply clearcoat over the decal! Has anyone tried waterslide decals?

link to the video if interested...

YouTube - Inkjet water-slide decal paper
Hey something I found after reading all this, since i want to do the same thing. I just found this and thought it was a good idea
YouTube - The 100$ Secret - AKA the rice paper trick

ThatPerson

May 11, 2009
Southport, NC
i tried a search but couldn,t find it

there was someone who used those lick n stick temporary tattoos .

he clear coated them afterwards and it worked awsome
I think it might be me you are talking about. I made a pirate theme bike and found this temp tattoo at the grocery store in one of those little .50 cent dispensers. I just wetted it down like the instructions said then then placed it and then blotted it dry with a paper towel. After an hour it was completely dry so I cleared over it and it looked great.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I think it might be me you are talking about. I made a pirate theme bike and found this temp tattoo at the grocery store in one of those little .50 cent dispensers. I just wetted it down like the instructions said then then placed it and then blotted it dry with a paper towel. After an hour it was completely dry so I cleared over it and it looked great.

That is awesome TP. Looks really great