First time grocery run with trailer.

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Hello, and welcome to yet another one of my threads! This time, I'm just showing off. Lol. Just thought someone here would appreciate this, to cure any curiosities about the trailer. I just went and did a heavier than usual shopping trip, just to test the strength of the trailer. I've hauled light things, but never this much. I've been nervous to. :) But, I did it, and I filmed most of it. (The important parts) I didn't film the whole ride, because I'm filming with my blackberry, and I wanted to be safe. When filming I ride with one hand, so having all that weight behind me made me nervous. Lol. Everything was fine though, I know now that she can handle quite a bit. :) Here's the videos, enjoy!!! :)
*Note* The videos are named GROCERIES #1, 2, 3, and 4. Please watch in order. Thank you!

Pictures by ADDICTED-BICYCLE-CUSTOMS - Photobucket
brnot

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol - good stuff man, interestingly enough the "maiden voyage" test run for my build was also a grocery run lol Though w/o a trailer, I had a LOT of foods in those packs - they really do fit enough for a week's worth of bachelor chow :D

"Way back when" I first built it, just back from it's first trip and LOADED w/crap heh;

Sounds like yer bike had no problems being a station wagon, it amazes me what these motors will put up with! No clutch issues? It's the only thing I can think of that would complain. Tho to be truly a cargo hauler I suppose a shift kit would help...

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
No clutch difficulties. It accelerated just a little bit slower than usual, and hills, the rpm dropped a little bit lower than usual. But, all in all, I have a lot more confidence in my trailer now, and in my engine. :) It was awesome.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
meh - I need a trailer. However given the lack of shoulders around these parts and the truly terrible roads I'm after one of the narrow, single wheel variants. I'd love to build one like yers, but I don't think it'd be too long before someone clipped me :(

Damn - the single wheel ones are expensive o_O

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Perhaps - thanks for thinkin' on it, but tbh I worry about being clipped by a passing cager as it is lol, I dare not even put a bar-end mirror on...

Yet there's the other extreme too - the silly bastids that veer WAY over into the oncoming lane, endangering themselves and others - like I need 8' of clearance!

ppl are so weird lol

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Only one egg broke, thats pretty good.

When I built my first trailer I had a requirement that it carry a bag of dog food (44 lbs) or at least 2 30 packs of beer. I made it just barely with the dog food, beer would have been fine. I retired that trailer for for one of those "Instep" trailers which has no trouble with the dog food. I mostly just use my cruiser with fold out rear baskets for grocery runs. What helps alot is to use recyclable grocery bags instead of paper or plastic, they hold things in place better and fit to a "T" in the baskets.

Nice video.

flynchef

Jun 5, 2008
Wilmington, IL
I went with the instep trailer but i removed the cover and placed plywood on the frame then replaced all the covering. I have had 4 cases of bud, 3 bags of ice and a 6 pack of coke and it looks like a stock kiddy hauler. The tires lean in a bit but it has taken me on many a weekend camping trip..bf.