horsepower facts per vendor

GoldenMotor.com

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
Ok, here is the deal. I am looking at the Super Titan, which states is 3 hp. The price seems good for that hp rating.
So I happen to browse some other vendors to actually see their horsepower ratings. Below is what was listed in their engine description for the Huasheng 142f engines.

Bikeberry 3-4 hp
Gasbike 1.6 hp
Bicycle-engines claim 2.5 hp (although kw conversion showed 2.01 hp)
That's Dax 3.0 hp

Just kinda confused now to all the different claims.
I ran a BikeBerry engine, That thing climbed some good hills. But with the ratio of the gearbox and sprocket setup, it was running a ration of 29:1.
I ran a Bicycle-engines engine, I believe the ratio was about 20:1, and that setup felt really powerful. The engine feels powerful.
Now, for Gasbike engine, ratio around 19.8:1, engines feel much weaker than the other engines. This engine was prior to the new ones with rev limit and something different with carb (smaller jet maybe)
Still sitting on two more Gasbike engines, waiting for my dispute so I can finish those to builds with different motors. (carb issues and rev limit not gonna work for me)

So trying to do another bike, looking for a little more hp, the Titan seems like it may be a fit for me. But has anybody verified the extra HP? For anybody running the super titan, how does it compare to the Honda or regular HS?

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi worksuxx. I believe the dax titan has a longer connecting rod than the regular huasheng 50cc 4 stroke engines, and therefore a little bit more compression. I think that's the only difference.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Zean nailed it. I have had both the regular Titan and the Titan S apart for modification. The only difference is the connecting rod. The carburetor is different also, the Titan S does not have a slow jet adjustment. I just switched mine with the regular Titan carb which I had already made the main jet bigger and added a high flow air filter. There is a big difference in RPM range once you get going. It revs up a lot quicker than the regular Titan, even more once you add the AGK modified cam.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Oh, also I believe the connecting rod is better made than the regular. I'm sure this is to handle the compression stress. I have broken a few regular HS connecting rods at high RPM, but this Super Titan just won't break. I have a very heavy stretch bike which puts a lot of stress on the engine when going full throttle up hills with my low ratio. I have only a 45T rear sprocket, mainly because I 'm in Florida and there is only a few hills in Pensacola, unfortunately the biggest one is right in the middle of my daily downtown trip.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
HP ratings will vary depending on where they're measured from. Usually the highest numbers come from the crankshaft, so that's what gets quoted most often my a manufacturer. A truer measurement would come from the rear wheel, which is always about 10 or 15% lower. This could be the reason for the discrepancies. Plus you can sell more if you lie.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
"Plus you can sell more if you lie."

HP ratings will vary depending on where they're quoted from, in the end it's all used for advertising and about as trustworthy. All retailers from supercars to gokarts will round up the numbers or blatantly bull.

It doesn't really matter, we all know the hamburger ain't gonna look like the pic on the box ;)

Last edited:

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
Im wondering about this. I THINK I smell something... But not sure. http://www.ebay.com/itm/271300092334?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I really wish this vendor had a track record. This engine looks perfect for what I am planning to build this winter. It has the centrifugal clutch and the gas tank included. For 'semi-stealth' I don't want a gas tank mounted up on the frame.

From any of you who have looked at this ebay page - what do you think? Does it smell fishy or look to be a good deal?

.flg.