need advice on weedeater powerd bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

ac5

Jul 25, 2008
hey, im new here and was hoping for some good advice, i have 2 bicycles, 1 20" normal and 1 26" mountain bike, and was wondering if thers anyway to set up a engine, for under $150 us for either of them, and also what kinda speeds i can expect if done

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
well ac5 i think you have a ton of reading to do. think of it as summer school. and your build as the test. now turn off that music and read. mitch

ac5

Jul 25, 2008
yea by lookin on the forum, ive seen how much info there is and i really dont know where to start<

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome ac5 to the forum :)

I don't have any experience with the weedeater set up yet...I've got several motors and making plans but have not had time to get my hands dirty.

I will be moving this post to the DIY Home built Motorized bicycle...you will get a better answer there.
:ride2:

TCBCustoms

Jul 20, 2008
Mounting weed eater motors is cake. On all of mine I have there is 4 holes where the plastic casing bolts to usually. i drill the bottom ones out and weld 2 mounts to the frame to hole it in place, and one on top for support so it wont bend the mounts and the shaft is straight. Ive seen people use springs but I just use solid mounts. But when getting the mounts in position, I keep the tire pressure low and the axle in the middle of the frame mounts so I can adjust the pressure. For the shaft I used a 14mm deep socket :D It works, and I just welded it to the old flex shaft bolt.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
And if you don't weld there is an easy way to do it.
http://motorbicycling.com/f36/how-build-cheap-friction-drive-bike-1820.html
This might help.

Its based on things that are easy to find. Trust me there are no rules to building bikes from alternate engines. Most anything will work. Just get yourself an engine and ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS.

People here are glad to help.

If you have the bike you can buy a brand new bolens weed whacker at Lowes for 75bucks tax included, That and twenty five dollars worth of hardware and you are rocking. In this section there are several different was to mount your engine.

You need a hacksaw, drill, screw drivers and wrenches.... I use a gavanized water pipe and end cap as a drive wheel. I'm working on different coverings for it now.

Speeds depend more on your topography than anything else. On the flat I get about twenty mpg and I'm 210.. The hills kill you with this kind of engine.