bottom of crankcase leaking.??

GoldenMotor.com

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
hi all,

i have just recently got a new engine and after a few miles i noticed quite a bad leak coming from what looks like the bottom of the crankcase, i have looked on the site but im getting mixed revues and been left a little confused as to whether its ok to keep running it of not.

it seems like fuel and oil, it can leave a good pool at times.
just wondered if i need to put a new gasket on.?

of change the needle position in the carb, it ticks over when cold but now after a few weeks when warm it wont tick over.??

thanks

alan.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Either it needs tightening up, or else a new gasket. It might also be a source of an air leak, causing your engine to run too lean, which is a dangerous condition.

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
ive just had another look and it seems to be coming from the clutch.i moved the needle up to the second notch as it was on the very bottom one,it seems less leaky on the fuel side, but now its clean oil coming from the bottom of the clutch casing.?

seems abit sluggie tho now on top end, but ticking over ok.?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
It could be that there is a weak gasket seal between the crankcase and the clutch section, and gas is making its way into the clutch shaft area, and dissolving some of the grease in the shaft, and that liquidy grease is what you are seeing.
If it is sluggish on the top end, then you might have to make the main jet smaller by soldering the jet hole shut and drilling it out again to a slightly smaller size.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I had a leak once. It was all over the motor and puddling on the ground.

It was the POS petcock that was leaking at the fuel tank and running down the hose and dripping on the engine.

Yeah, sick bike parts again, they have a nice one that doesn't leak.

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
found its leaking oil from behind the clutch. :/

will it be ok to use like this......????

thanks for all the comments. :)

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
Yeah I bet the carb is leaking and dripping on top of the case. There's no way fuel would be leaking near the clutch, it would have to be under the cylinder.

Look more closely and find the highest wet spot on the motor.

yep,carb leaking but oil coming from back of clutch its self. a bit ****ty too, guess that will be a mix of clutch and oil, but not slipping..

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Inside the clutch, there is grease, kinda thick,so if you see oil leaking out, then one of two things is going on:

1) Somebody put oil into the clutch when it should have grease?

2) The gasket seal between the engine crankcase and the clutch is leaking, allowing the oil/fuel mix into the clutch. The fuel evaporates, leaving the oil to leak out.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
If it is a blown clutch side seal you will have to replace it. The oil/gas mix will start filling up the clutch housing and then the clutch will start slipping. It is a DRY clutch, NOT a wet clutch. I just replaced one on a brand new engine so it can happen on a old or new engine.
If It's a gas leak from the carb, check your float & valve. If it's not shutting off at the top float level it will Drip Drip Drip till you have a puddle under your engine.
Good Luck,
Big Red.

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
If it is a blown clutch side seal you will have to replace it. The oil/gas mix will start filling up the clutch housing and then the clutch will start slipping. It is a DRY clutch, NOT a wet clutch. I just replaced one on a brand new engine so it can happen on a old or new engine.
If It's a gas leak from the carb, check your float & valve. If it's not shutting off at the top float level it will Drip Drip Drip till you have a puddle under your engine.
Good Luck,
Big Red.
yes it must be the seal and this is a new engine, how are they to replace.?

do they just pop out with a little force or do you need some kind of tool, can it be replaced with still in sitchu .?

thanks

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Do you mean that it is leaking from behind the little bevel gear on the clutch side,where the seal is, or it is leaking from behind the clutch plate, where the bearing is?