Fresh Install Not Starting

GoldenMotor.com

Avowed

May 4, 2011
Kenosha
My friend is trying to build me a motorized bicycle. We got everything together and set up, but it seems there is no power.

I will pedal quite vigorously, let go of the clutch and I hear the pistons pop, but it is being done by my own power.

We have disconnected the kill switch and even tried starting with ether. It seems that there is no spark.

The model is a Stinger SD.
:-||

Avowed

May 4, 2011
Kenosha
I will check that, but I did check for spark and didnt see one, maybe i will recheck spark after sundown to be certain.

Avowed

May 4, 2011
Kenosha
adjusted the clutch. It now makes motor sounds, like a motorcycle, as long as a pedal, but the engine does not take over.

Avowed

May 4, 2011
Kenosha
Definitely have spark. Tried two plugs, both work. Plug does get wet with fuel.

Pulled it behind a car multiple times with varying speeds for a 3 block distance. Head and plug were slightly warm after but no luck on starting the motor.
I dont know what else to try.

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Wet plug and spark, so what else is left? Timing.
Make sure that the magnet is not backwards.
With the magnet flats on top and bottom, and piston at TDC, the keyway should be at around 1 'o clock.

engine pic.jpg

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
If it is not set up in this manner, what is the remedy?
Remove nut, remove magnet, flip it over, and reinstall. Simple and easy to do!
Be careful of the Woodruff key, and make sure there is no back and forth play in the magnet. If there is play, a new Woodruff key might be needed.

Avowed

May 4, 2011
Kenosha
The key way is in the right position and the timing appears correct. if i pull the magnet it wont be right because i fear the key way would then be at 11 o clock which would be wrong. the magnet must be on right as well. These are assumptions, i assume they are correct. please advise. thanks.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Ok, so let's see:
Good spark.
Wet plug.
Proper timing.
Maybe mixture is too rich? Keep choke off when trying to start.
I never have to use the choke on my engine, unless it it the middle of winter.

Avowed

May 4, 2011
Kenosha
It gets fuel, even drips some from the exhaust. Not matter how far or fast we move it, it does not power up.