My first build.

GoldenMotor.com

Pinoyxprss

Mar 15, 2011
CA
Hi guys, I'm new to the motorized bike scene and one of my co-worker inspired me to build one so I bought a starfire kit 80cc(i think 66cc is actuall rating) and a huffy Olympia bicycle.

After reading lots of threads here, I finally finished my bike, here's some pics that I took.

I put rubber washers on all the bolts holding the fenders, It's working out really good and has ran 23 Miles so far with no problems, Checking every nuts and bolts every after run and I used loctite on everything.

It turned out pretty good, A lot of vibration when I hit 23-26MPH and can barely hold on to the handle bar, right now I can coast between 17-20 with no problem. I Put rubber on the mounts and it didn't seem to help. Any other advice?

Thanks

JD

Attachments

Last edited:

Pinoyxprss

Mar 15, 2011
CA
I just got back from riding, I forgot to mention when the engine is idling I hear a knocking sound coming from the engine, is this normal? I don't want the engine to seize.

Another thing is, is there an easier way to start engine when its cold?

Thanks
JD

poorboys bikes

Custom Bike Builder
Apr 18, 2010
wichita, ks
Welcome, the vibration may be because you've got your tensioner too tight. Make sure you have atleast a 1/2 inch of play(slack). If that doesn't help you may need to add more cushion between your front mount and frame. If that doesn't work it might just be your crank being unbalanced, I've had a couple motors that just shook the bike to death no matter what i changed! As far as a knock in idle, if its not an exhaust leak, your clutch might be barely grabbing, or you might have something worse on your hands. There's really no way to tell unless you take it to someone who knows and let them hear it in person! Hope that helps bro.

Pinoyxprss

Mar 15, 2011
CA
When you said the tensioner, not really sure what or where that is, is it the mount or something else? I tighten the nuts on my mounts and it fixed the vibration a little, but not to the point where I can keep my hands on the handle bars when I hit 25mph, feels like one of those arcade games where you hold on to two post and it vibrates.

Thanks

poorboys bikes

Custom Bike Builder
Apr 18, 2010
wichita, ks
I was speaking of your chain tensioner, the little erector set piece of crap with the plastic wheel on it that keeps you chain in line and tight. your chain should have atleast a half inch of up and down play in it. after about 30-50 miles are on the bike you can re-adjust it cuz yer chain will have stretched out fully by then. And i watched your video, sounds to me like its running perfectly, that sound is normal, youve got great throttle response, so theres def no air leaks in the intake area. i bought some diamond plate shaped rubber strips that are for running board steps on trucks, they have sticky on one side. I took my clutch cover off and traced it out on the back, then cut it out to fit and slapped it on there, quieted down alot! also you need a dab of grease on the drive gears while yer in there! But yer motor sounds good, hope i helped bro. when youre trouble shooting you can always refer to the booklet that came with yer kit, it always helped me my first couple builds.

Pinoyxprss

Mar 15, 2011
CA
I bought my engine from ebay, seller name is freedombikeusa, there was no booklet in the package, it was weird so I had to get all instructions online.

anyway if thats normal then that makes me feel better, this thing runs very well and very responsive, I'm almost scared that my spokes will bend, spokes are 12GA.

anyway, thanks for the advice.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I bought my engine from ebay, seller name is freedombikeusa, there was no booklet in the package, it was weird so I had to get all instructions online.

anyway if thats normal then that makes me feel better, this thing runs very well and very responsive, I'm almost scared that my spokes will bend, spokes are 12GA.

anyway, thanks for the advice.
The instructions are in the box underneath the styrofoam (see photos). If not PM me your address and I will send you one.

Attachments

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
Hi guys, I'm new to the motorized bike scene and one of my co-worker inspired me to build one so I bought a starfire kit 80cc(i think 66cc is actuall rating) and a huffy Olympia bicycle.

After reading lots of threads here, I finally finished my bike, here's some pics that I took.

I put rubber washers on all the bolts holding the fenders, It's working out really good and has ran 23 Miles so far with no problems, Checking every nuts and bolts every after run and I used loctite on everything.

It turned out pretty good, A lot of vibration when I hit 23-26MPH and can barely hold on to the handle bar, right now I can coast between 17-20 with no problem. I Put rubber on the mounts and it didn't seem to help. Any other advice?

Thanks

JD
fill the handle bars with sand!!! or get a springer front end!!.wee.

Pinoyxprss

Mar 15, 2011
CA
Thanks Dave, I actually got the instruction online with no problem, A hard copy manual would just get lost in my garage.

I'm guessing filling the handle bar with sand will make it hevier and eliminate some vibration ya? I've read on other post about led shots too, which probably be a little heavier than sand.

Thanks

JD