New WTF pictures

GoldenMotor.com

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
I wasn't sure if I had ever put up any pics of my WTF bike.
Here's what it has metamorphasized into lately.
I won't bore you with the blah blah blah list of mods I've done.
Every bolt, nut, bearing and original junk part has been replaced.

Attachments

Last edited:

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I wasn't sure if I had ever put up any pics of my WTF bike.
Here's what it has metamorpasized into lately.
I won't bore you with the blah blah blah list of mods I've done.
Every bolt, nut, bearing and original junk part has been replaced.
Your bike looks great.

But please forgive my ignorance and take into consideration I've lived in the desert since I was 3. What is the purpose of running the exhaust pipe up high like that? Does it help keep you warm? Have you ever burned yourself on it?

I've asked this question before but probably missed out on the answer as I'm learning the forum thing for the first time.

Thanks.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Rockhopper
I had to put the pipe up high. I had configured it down low and upswept by the chainstay.
The lead header pipe was about 16" to the beginning of the chamber. That was too long and killed my
top end performance. I've always had trouble getting the upper rpm range to my liking, even after several jetting changes. I wrapped the pipe with that perforated aluminum and it stands off just enough to guard my leg from the heat. I haven't burnt my leg because it doesn't get that hot and I never ride in shorts.

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
what kind of clearance do you have in-between the shift kit chain and the pedal drive chain? looks like there touching in your picture

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Dude your WTF bike is a great looking machine and I'm glad you figured out your piping issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Tough crowd today guys. My chains have at least 1/4" clearance between them, and I keep them tight and they never touch. You can also see if you actually look that the header pipe on there now is only about 6" long. I don't want it down under the bottom bracket like a lot of people have it because I don't want to lose the kickstand, and ground clearance is an issue as I am constantly lugging my bike up and down stairs. Thanks for the responses and at least I got your attention. Have a great weekend P.s. I do have 2 loose nuts

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Rockhopper
I had to put the pipe up high. I had configured it down low and upswept by the chainstay.
The lead header pipe was about 16" to the beginning of the chamber. That was too long and killed my
top end performance. I've always had trouble getting the upper rpm range to my liking, even after several jetting changes. I wrapped the pipe with that perforated aluminum and it stands off just enough to guard my leg from the heat. I haven't burnt my leg because it doesn't get that hot and I never ride in shorts.
Thank you for that.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
i did not mean to come off bad i should have been more descriptive or my post would still be here 16 in is way too long and would produce some sick low then fall flat was it doing that at all? 8 inches is max i've noticed i actually have a low pipe it has a 6 inch 3/4 id header and the high pipe has no header the first cone starts at the ex port.duh.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
You guys are the best. Sometimes I get on the forum because I'm bored.
I enjoy any kind of responses, good, bad or otherwise. Seems my wings have been clipped because the wife has been in and out of the hospital for a month now and my life is too tough at times. Biking banter
helps me cope. Some people are here for odd reasons like mine.
Tim

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
well tim i'm sorry to hear that. I dont know what i would do if my wife was sick. this forum is def a good time it can get a bit ugly sometimes but it keeps it fun.