Industrial 4 stroke engines follow ups

GoldenMotor.com

--

Aug 18, 2014
Yeah, yeah... I am too lazy to look it up..

There is a few board track bikes were built with stripped down 4 stroke engines..

I wanted to ask builders of these bike a few questions, but most threads are old and possible abandoned..

This based on Briggs and Stratton Vanguard V-twins, Honda, and Predator engines..

With shrouds (cooling tins) removed, flywheels shaved..

So the question is...

after riding the bike for awhile,

HOW DID THE ENGINE PERFORMED?

DID IT GETS HOT?

HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO GET 'EM HOT?

Note: I am not shouting here.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I would think the engines you mentioned would stay cool under normal riding conditions. If traffic is bad enough that you are waiting thru 3 or four traffic lights to get through an intersection, it's probably best to shut down (Like the old big block Corvettes).
-I have no first hand experience with the stripped engines.
Engines with the cooling shrouds are designed to stay cool and in a stationary position, like powering a pump or wood chipper.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
In my experience, this is not a problem. I have had a lot of air cooled engines, and when I built the sidehack I was a little concerned too. I had a CHT gauge on it for a while, but after finding out what it was actually doing I removed it.

The bike is a GX120 clone engine, standing upright with the cooling removed:

Just to add to the cooling load, the generator is mounted in front of the cylinder. Many people thought it would "burn up" with the generator blocking airflow.

I use this bike as a truck. It makes trips to the hardware store. Around here 110f afternoons are common. Riding around with a load I rarely see more than 275f on the head. It actually drops some at a stoplight.

Worst case stationary heating was tested by running the generator at a 25 amp load jump starting a car. Running the engine at 3000 rpm with the bike parked for about 10 minutes. CHT peaked @ 390f - not an issue for an air cooled engine.

These engines are cooled by the oil as well as the fins on the head. When I stop at a light, the CHT drops off, and the oil temp rises a little. The oil splashing around on the inside of the cylinder picks up the heat & transfers it to the sump. The engine case has a lot of area, and all of it is wet with oil on the inside - a huge heat exchanger.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I have had excellent results from the industrial engines, specifically the GX200 and it's clones and more recently the HF79cc. Heat has never been an issue and the only times I had proper readings from a good engine computer used for speed, rpm, and engine temp I never once had any indication things were getting too hot. I have broken exhaust valves a couple times but these were race valves with the undercut stem for better flow. One broke at the very end of a 90 plus mile ride on a hot day.

--

Aug 18, 2014
I have had excellent results from the industrial engines, specifically the GX200 and it's clones and more recently the HF79cc. Heat has never been an issue and the only times I had proper readings from a good engine computer used for speed, rpm, and engine temp I never once had any indication things were getting too hot. I have broken exhaust valves a couple times but these were race valves with the undercut stem for better flow. One broke at the very end of a 90 plus mile ride on a hot day.
Hello Pat,:)

I've seen your bike builds.. They're fantastic.. (^)

I own several power equipments like log splitter, roto tiller and chore trac (two wheeled tractor) all powered by HF Predator 212cc.

I don't think broken exhaust valves are heat related, it sound like erosion from exhaust gases..

After seeing how you mounted engines at an angle.. I kind of wonder how the oil dipper work without rod end dunking into oil first.. I learn from over filling an engine once, it robbed engine of power as big end smashing into oil and plus messy over flow from the breather..

You have shown proof in several videos, that engine still performed without any signs of oil starvation or seizure

Last edited:

--

Aug 18, 2014
In my experience, this is not a problem. I have had a lot of air cooled engines, and when I built the sidehack I was a little concerned too. I had a CHT gauge on it for a while, but after finding out what it was actually doing I removed it.

The bike is a GX120 clone engine, standing upright with the cooling removed:

Just to add to the cooling load, the generator is mounted in front of the cylinder. Many people thought it would "burn up" with the generator blocking airflow.

I use this bike as a truck. It makes trips to the hardware store. Around here 110f afternoons are common. Riding around with a load I rarely see more than 275f on the head. It actually drops some at a stoplight.

Worst case stationary heating was tested by running the generator at a 25 amp load jump starting a car. Running the engine at 3000 rpm with the bike parked for about 10 minutes. CHT peaked @ 390f - not an issue for an air cooled engine.

These engines are cooled by the oil as well as the fins on the head. When I stop at a light, the CHT drops off, and the oil temp rises a little. The oil splashing around on the inside of the cylinder picks up the heat & transfers it to the sump. The engine case has a lot of area, and all of it is wet with oil on the inside - a huge heat exchanger.
Hello..

Thanks, I used to own several air cooled VW.. their engine do get hot sitting in traffic jam, to over come that is turning idle speed up a bit to get air flowing.. even oil cooler is mounted in the path of air flow..

I can see the point, as engine is exposed into open air, it'll keep cooled.. as long as oil doesn't too hot and start to break down..

Many years ago.. My uncle used have a British motorcycle.. can't remember the make.. Its get hot on long trip on the highway, he had to pull over and shutdown to let it cools off..
Mechanic told him overhauling the engine with new pistons and rings will prevent overheating problems.. Sadly, it'll take Whitworth tools to work on it, which it is rare tools back in the 70's..

Good fitted pistons and rings have a role in keeping things cool as well..

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
in california spitting lanes on a motorcycle is legal, this was done to save m/c's from overheating with their cast iron fins. thanks that they didn't change when everybody went to alloy motors, but now they run so lean/hot for carb ect we are back to hot motors that need to move to keep cool air running through them. lean motors will die a short life, proper jetting and timing is the answer for a strong, long, cool, motor. its always been that way. car, truck, lawn mower ect.. no matter what carb says. dennis

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA