sprocket and adaptor

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Have a CranBrook 26 and was looking at he adaptor trying to see which one would fit. I have a Falcon coaster brake with the numbers of 5 HA CF E11 , not sure what that means. They say at Pirate the Falcon but no numbers. Also not real sure of the spoke size , looks like 12 Ga , have to figure that one out too. Queston is follows, does my nomenclature fall under the standard catagory of Falcon. Little stuff @$#$%^$@@ Thanks guys will be watching. :-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You'll be better off contacting Pirate directly for the answer. However, hub diameter is the ultimate criteria for a proper fitting adapter. This measurement needs to be as accurate as you can get, preferably using a micrometer.
Tom

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
I know you are correct. I will probably stick to the one that came with the kit. I can keep it true I am sure. Do not have micrometer anyway. Have a tendency to get carried away with all the goodies offered in this hobby. My next one will be much nicer I am sure. Thanks for the return message. G

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi gphil,

I have a Cranbrook.
Yes, it is has a Falcon Hub.
Yes. the website says it will work.
You will need the clam shell adapter with the oversize spoke openings, available next week.
Buuuuut, there is some conflicting info. as to:

a. the hubs falling apart. (from my readings, some seasoned MBers are using it, no problems) I think the ones who have the hubs coming apart are those not adjusting the hub properly.
b. hub size and clam shell size. (manufacturer says shims are no good, others say it works. Probably its less concentric, but usable. Also, another vendor suggested to shave the inner diameter of the adapter if to small.)

My differences hub vs hub are .005 - .006"
hub vs cs adapter .010"
1.522-1.528" clam shell sprocket adapter
1.539-1.548" falcon hub 1
1.533-1.543" falcon hub 2 (new)

c. manufacturer and justin at pirate does not suggest using , but its STILL on the site saying its compatible.

(some may suggest you buy a rear coaster brake wheelset with a cb 110e hub to ensure a proper fit.) ---> more $$$...

a micrometer can be bought on the cheap at harbor freight tools btw.

2door is right, ask justin at pirate.

FYI Justin's website is:

www.piratecycles1.com/

I guess i'm not so mechanically inclined, and I couldn't get the rag joint sprocket adapter to fit properly. But I think many couldnt get the sprocket to remain concentric as well.

Theres alot of good people in here willing to assist.

Good Luck! :)

Last edited:

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Once again thanks for the input and I have shot a email to them over there. I intend on spending more on the next build but maybe just stick to the basics this time to get a little education. Keep the thoughts coming however all is a learning process and I for one appreciate it.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Once again thanks for the input and I have shot a email to them over there. I intend on spending more on the next build but maybe just stick to the basics this time to get a little education. Keep the thoughts coming however all is a learning process and I for one appreciate it.
No prob.

My solution - I just bought the BMP friction drive kit with the chain and belt drive adapters as well for flexibility. I am just a recreational driver and I will first set it up as friction drive for overall simplicity and ease of maintenance.

:)