New 1911 Military Indian fuel tank finished

GoldenMotor.com

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I love that picture Cobrafreak, it really does look like a real Indian. Nice work...... But I must ask what's next? Any more builds planned or are you still just happy enjoying your beautiful ride?
Right now I'm assembling (building) all the small things that makes my uniform 100% period correct. I tell you, one of the biggest jobs i've ever done has been getting this uniform right. It's not there yet either. Lots of small things that matter. The right shoes, holsters, chin straps, etc. There is nothing more anal than a military re-enactor. If you show up to an event with the wrong buttons on you coat you will be asked to sit it out. The whole purpose of all of this is to honor the men who originally wore the uniforms and to do that you strive for 100% perfection in authenticity. And there is lots to get right. And all these bits and pieces are rather expensive. By March or April I may everything I need for the authentic uniform to match the bike.

After the clothing, I don't know. I'm thinking of ways to strengthen the front fork. It is barely strong enough to do the job it does.

carcrafter22

Nov 16, 2012
Burleson
Using A flame or welding and using brake cleaner to clean the metal is dangerous! Even if u think the brake cleaner is gone it can still be there and turn to a poison gas.

I'm gonna leave this here http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm I know this is about welding and you soldered(2 different methods) but applying high temps to brake cleaner can be very dangerous if you breath the fumes. Highly poisonous.

This has been discussed on many many different fabrication forum and is very widely discussed and agreed that it's dangerous.

Be careful folks.

Great job on the tank by the way.

Last edited:

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Everything that has to do with metal fabrication is dangerous. The common safety advice is to always work in a well ventalated area. Use gloves, eye protection, and respirator. Silver soldering requires metal prep and one of the steps is to remove all oils from cleaned and prepped steel. Brake cleaner is the best method. It's flammable, but it dissipates quickly. Actually, the fumes from the 8-1 acid/water dilution are much worse than any cleaner. Alas, well ventellated means a fan carrying fresh air toward you and blowing toxins away. It's just common sense.

feelyx

Jun 30, 2012
sac. ca 95821
I use carb cleaner, but whatever is used make sure its non-cloronated. The heat turns cloronated brake cleaner into cloronated gas, which I think was used in WWI in trench warfare.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Phosgene, known as mustard gas. Cheerful stuff, the last known use was Chemical Ali in Irag, he wiped out Kurdish villages with it. It destroys lungs so you drown in your own blood; this is worth knowing if any is ever likely to be generated in a process you are using.