HF Pred 212 4-stroke with GTC TC2 tranny

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The only real issue is keeping the front wheel on the ground when you launch!
Sweet ride Scotto.
The customer wants a beach cruiser look so I am hoping to fit in a Macargo Pantera for it's dual V-brakes like this except direct drive not jackshafted.

But if it won't fit then a Fatal Love love like this.

I was thinking of just buying a gasbike 4-stroke kits parts for what I'll need but it's actually less, $80 less, to buy the kit with the motor but silly unless I sell the new motor and then overall pretty cheap.

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
I rode Racie's 212 Predator bike with the TAV2 yesterday and man, was that a blast. He's got his set up to belt drive with a Whizzer sheave and it was really smooth. Think it's time to sell my Chinagirl and build a 4 stroker

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I rode Racie's 212 Predator bike with the TAV2 yesterday and man, was that a blast.
Plenty of HP's that's for sure but what really interested me was the difference between a centrifugal clutch and a torque converter.

On a cent clutch you have a fixed sized bell and out drive gear ratio, the inner clutch spins out with with RPM and grabs the inside of the bell to make you go.

A torque converter has a split 'smart' pulley with angled sides that constricts with RPM and load so as it constricts with higher R's the gear ratio goes up. This is the TC2's explanation...

---
The TC2 provides Neutral engagement at Engine Idle.
At 2200 RPM, the system engages for a Powerful Low Ratio for great takeoff speed.
At Mid Range, the TC2 instantaneously shifts ratios based upon RPM and
Load Requirements.
Finally, the High Performance Over drive engages for maximum speed

Neutral
The Belt is not engaged at idle effectively placing the TC2 in neutral

Low
As the engine
throttle is applied, the Driver Pulley begins to engage 2200 RPM. The Drive Belt engages the Driven Pulley at it's largest diameter. This is Low
Gear position.

Mid Range
As the RPMs increase, the Driver Pulley flanges continue to contract forcing the belt to a larger diameter. This action depends upon RPM and Load. If
the load is increased, the process is reversed, forcing the belt to a smaller diameter. This process allows the TC2 to raise and lower the ratios as required between high and low.

High Overdrive
At maximum RPM, the Driven Pulley becomes fully open allowing the smallest possible diameter. At the same time, the Driver Pulley flanges are fully closed
forcing the belt to its maximum diameter. This is High Gear Overdrive position
---

That should take some of the sting out having no drive gears if it don't chew belts.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
yup thats about how they work ....the speed at which the driven can be opened can be varied by setting its tension spring either higher or lower. Most have 3 settings....I left mine in the middle because it came that way.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Ya, I am looking forward to trying one at $150 less than a Q-matic with a cent clutch just to see for myself. The main drive don't mean much with a jackshaft and bike gears but sure sounds dandy for direct drive.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The one I have listed at the top has the extra parts and instructions to make it bolt right on to an HF 212 so I'll get my feet wet with that from a main distributor as I just don't like to deal with anything E-bay when I want it right the first time.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The one I have listed at the top has the extra parts and instructions to make it bolt right on to an HF 212 so I'll get my feet wet with that from a main distributor as I just don't like to deal with anything E-bay when I want it right the first time.
Just an fyi, although it might bolt together just fine (as mine have), there is a reason for running a jackshaft that you'll soon be aware of. To run that set-up without one, the engine will have to mount about 2" off-center and will make things awfully awkward with no modification. You will see soon enough what I'm saying here....

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Just an fyi, although it might bolt together just fine (as mine have), there is a reason for running a jackshaft that you'll soon be aware of. To run that set-up without one, the engine will have to mount about 2" off-center and will make things awfully awkward with no modification. You will see soon enough what I'm saying here....
Bummer. I would like nothing better than to JS it but I am pushing the customers budget as it is and he doesn't want to have to mess with the extra chains and shifting.

I'll bet that 212 would mount nice on an SBP 4S JS kit though with new mount holes.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Bummer. I would like nothing better than to JS it but I am pushing the customers budget as it is and he doesn't want to have to mess with the extra chains and shifting.

I'll bet that 212 would mount nice on an SBP 4S JS kit though with new mount holes.
I've yet to see someone mount an SBP shift kit to a 212cc HF.......I think the bike frame would have to be modified in that case if it is possible?

The AGK mount would be one of the best solutions if you just don't make one yourself.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The AGK mount would be one of the best solutions if you just don't make one yourself.
I have a new 4-stroke motor mount left over from a gasbike HS 4-stroke kit as that bike got a SBP JS so I'm set there with new mount holes, I have an extra gas tank if want to use it, throttle, rear sprocket, exhaust pipes and tensioner so I think I'll be set.

The customer is coming over Saturday to get the ball rolling on this build so more next week.

mkatt4x4

Aug 30, 2013
Canada
Those are cool bikes, I am highly tempted to scrap the 66cc kit and go 212cc HF, but then I'd probably need a cruiser style bike for the space. There are a lot of choices out there to choose from. The 212 HF engine is soooo cheap. Got me pondering a switch up on my very first build ever. If I'm going to drop the coin, might as well do it right for a 6'6" 300 lb dude. I just dont think those 66's are up to it.

Last edited: