Considering this bike. Any thoughts?

GoldenMotor.com

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
It's going to be a tight fit for the engine, you might have to use an offset intake for the carb. Also, that back wheel looks like it might be a 27.5" with 32 spokes. If you are using a rag joint setup for the rear sprocket you will have difficulty installing it on a 32 spoke wheel. I would recommend that you find a 26" rim with 36 spokes or else get yourself a sprocket adapter that will fit the diameter of the rear hub and work with a 32 spoke rim. Also, you will need to use a universal front mount to fit around that down tube. I would find something else.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Agreed. Tight fit. Not the best for a new build. Beach cruiser frames have plenty of engine space.

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
I think you will be happy with the 66cc for power. I have a 44 t sprocket and wish I had a larger one due to the speed required to hit the powerband. Users on this forum have cautioned me against using the 54 t saying a few more teeth makes a bigger difference than I think so I'm going to play around a bit with sprockets.

I personally don't mind having a few different size sprockets as I plan on doing several builds with the hope of selling some. I'm more into power than speed. I do not regret my purchase this is a fun hobby for both building and riding.

Also I think your front tube might require a larger adapter than what came in my stock kit so keep that in mind. I don't know what kit you are buying with your engine.

To me (the newb) your frame looks like it might be ok, you need 11" from the bottom of the top tube the top of the barrel of the crank. See the sizing image on the kit on the link below.

http://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engine-kits/gas-engine-kits/66-80cc-flying-horse-silver-angle-fire-bicycle-engine-kit-2-stroke.html

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Disc surgery? Go with a full suspension bike or at least a fat bike plus the suspension seatpost. With that Raleigh you're gonna feel every dam bump and crack in the road. I'm young and I get a tingly back after a day of riding on 2" wide tires...

burrus

May 25, 2016
Seekonk, Ma
Just picked up a Specialized Crossroads for a song on CL. ($100) It looks like it was ridden about 5 times. At 6'3", I needed a big bike, and boy the XL frame on this is BIG!
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this expansion chamber from Bicycle Motor Works? Pretty cheap at $27.99

https://bicyclemotorworks.com/produc...haust-muffler/

I used the muffler from the Grubee kit on another bike and was debating to try something other than a stock exhaust on this build.

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
An expansion pipe was one of the best upgrades I got. However, I have never used that particular one so I don't know what the performance will be. The link isn't working but I assume you are talking about THIS ONE. It looks like it has a pretty long header which should give you lots of low end power but the chamber looks a little small. You would probably get more out of one like THIS (a little more expensive but still in the cheap range). The bigger the chamber the better the performance will be.

brnot

Last edited: