why not mount a 4 stroke in the frame?

GoldenMotor.com

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Hough, good to hear that yours is not too noisy, that would be the first time I've heard of one that is quiet enough! id yours start out resonably quiet, or did it seem to wear in and quiet down?

Mike

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
It got quieter- but I experimented wih what to fill the gearbox with. It was quiet with gearlube, gearlube + stop leak, and auto trans fluid. However, it eventually began to slip and got extremely hot with these. It was only really noisy when i used some grease, but not much. That was at the very beginning. I eventually tried about 7 or 8 ounces of the stickiest, stringiest marine grease (marine because it usually is stickier) I could find. That is a lot of grease. It is packed in every crevice about halfway up the gears. It is now quiet and does not slip and I have quite a few miles on it this way. It is messy to pack the gearbox...but it works. Also, I have not had any leakage yet.

The sad part is, as I'm sure you know, is that these gearboxes are hit and miss on the noise and it seems no manufacturers or retailers have any reliable instructions on what to put in the box for lube and quiet. This leaves us to experiment and be their R and D department. Not good.

I eventually found a solution that works for me, but when there are options out there, I will take a long hard look at them. I don't generally do things half arsed and I will gladly redo something several times to get the result I want.

I look forward to seeing your system.

nsideus

Nov 29, 2008
colorado
I just put a short crank in my schwinn point beach the crank is the same lenth as the 3 piece supplied with the newer grubee. I cut off and old exhaust pipe and made a goofy muffler out of copper pipe this gives me a nice throuty sound without being to loud. As with houghmade I have experimented with differnt lubes in the gear box and find grease is the best solution. The sellers know less about how to make these gear boxes work than we do. Side note the 3 piece bb is crap that is supplied with the kits..

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
i have no idea what is a better engine (4 or 2) but it seems only 2;s are put in the frame .. why is that? i dont care for the rear mount style.
Well, as stated, many do with good results.

Still, for me I dislike sacrificing good drive train components and I've moved to full suspension only. bikes, so rear engine it is for now.