Best belt drive kit for robin eho35

GoldenMotor.com

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I am getting a lot of slippage from my friction drive on rainy days and am considering a belt drive kit that will be motor swappable. I get busted spokes often on the friction drive when slamming a bump of other street defect. Are belt drives better in the rain? I am confident that they are but would like a testimonial before I fetch some cash for these. Treaking my throttle to turtle speed on post rain wet roads is misery.

If 1 or more spokes pop will that effect my wheel pulley? So far with my friction drive the only bad flaws have been my clutch and the little nut and bolt that hold up the supports. I guess the drive roller is smoother but it still works fine.

Thanks. .duh.

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
You don't say what brand of friction drive you have

What bicycle?
What wheels?
Spokes?

how do ya expect a decent answer?

I presume you are going to buy a GEBE kit.....

I never busted a spoke on my Staton FrictionDrive robin eho35 and it
was on a bike with very crappy and weak spokes

yea, FrictionDrive in the rain is a pain but it no rain in SoCal :D

I have a GEBE rear belt drive competitor designed that I may bring out soon.

I am getting a lot of slippage from my friction drive on rainy days and am considering a belt drive kit that will be motor swappable. I get busted spokes often on the friction drive when slamming a bump of other street defect. Are belt drives better in the rain? I am confident that they are but would like a testimonial before I fetch some cash for these. Treaking my throttle to turtle speed on post rain wet roads is misery.

If 1 or more spokes pop will that effect my wheel pulley? So far with my friction drive the only bad flaws have been my clutch and the little nut and bolt that hold up the supports. I guess the drive roller is smoother but it still works fine.

Thanks. .duh.

Last edited:

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
You don't say what brand of friction drive you have
#@#@#@!!!%^&**(())
<< bike motor parts>>

What bicycle?

<< I have a few Treks, many old Shwinn's from Beach cruiser to Mtn. Bike, 2 Cannondale's, A Gary Fisher some old off brand Beach Cruisers and many other.. I just picked up an old 3 wheeler (western Flyer).. So the possibilities are there.

What wheels?

<< regular Mtn Bike tires? 26" >>

Spokes? I have heard they differ but I can perhaps use the best one you have in mund.. Rim/hub combo?

how do ya expect a decent answer?
I presume you are going to buy a GEBE kit.....

<<GEBE I just looked up and they are impressive.. Any experience with GEBE in the rain?

I never busted a spoke on my Staton FrictionDrive robin eho35 and it
was on a bike with very crappy and weak spokes.

<<I have a BMP kit and welded a trailer hitch to the back of it.. Literally.. I pull around 200-300 pounds with it not including my fat self.. I figure 500 total and when I smack the back wheel in a pothole.. Things happen.

yea, FrictionDrive in the rain is a pain but it no rain in SoCal :D

<<<Nice... I think.. I like to garden as well. I need to travel more.

I have a GEBE rear belt drive competitor designed that I may bring out soon.

<<<Thanks for trying to help me. I will research GEBE.

.trlrl.

{{{ I just looked at the selection}}} I will count spokes and be riding in the snow this winter I hope. If there is a front wheel mount elsewhere please let me know}}}

Last edited:

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
The only belt drive I have seen is GEBE.

I don't know how a belt drive would be easier on the spokes than friction. Sounds to me like it is the stress of the load, not the drive system. With that load, I would look past 12 ga spokes (many bikes come standard with 14 ga) and go with 11 ga or 10 ga....but that's me.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
The only belt drive I have seen is GEBE.

I don't know how a belt drive would be easier on the spokes than friction. Sounds to me like it is the stress of the load, not the drive system. With that load, I would look past 12 ga spokes (many bikes come standard with 14 ga) and go with 11 ga or 10 ga....but that's me.
I will have to meet ya at the 49er some windy day... Those bugs will eat ya up. I like the 10 ga Idea and should look into that for power and durability.

.flg.