BrettMavrik's Production Bobber Frame For Builders Has Begun...

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Eta

hmmmm...

Now that the frame is finished, everything else should go quickly, as all the R&D time for components went into my very first motorized bike build: http://motorbicycling.com/f15/orange-coast-chopper-5703.html

There are some new things on my production bike like the "clockable" rubber isolated motor mounts which I begin today. These will be the bomb when finished. Cool part is, they go on via steel tubing clamp style. A steel clamshell so to speak, with 4 bolts per mount. Super hold and enough to use elsewhere like on my version of a jackshaft kit which I am selling, the new spring loaded solo seat so it will be height/pedal distance adjustable, and smaller ones for the new electrical accessories box and 3 watt l.e.d. brake & tail engine charging NimH battery system.

The nice thing about these clamps that has led me to this solution is the fact that the motor can be "clocked" or tilted for perfect angle, and the jackshaft can be slid fore and aft to get the chain tension ballet between the left and right side juuuust right....

The first bike was all the pain and suffering to get everything to work correctly. I went back to the drawing board numerous times and changed to different parts often. I wasn't just slapping a motor on a single speed beach cruiser here; I had pretty high aspirations. I wanted a unique old school rat rod with all the ultra chic components like full suspension front and rear with disc brakes fore and aft, 5 speeds and a custom simplified jackshaft, big fat rear tire, custom tank, expansion chamber exhaust, and a powerful, self contained lighting system with brake and tail lights. A pretty tall order for my first build, and I pulled it off in 89 days...

My motor even seized within 30 days of being fired up, as it was a manufacturer's defect and NOT covered under said company's proclaimed 6 month warranty. (But that is another story in two different threads that really puts me into a different ZONE....8-]' )

So now with all that behind me, and the newly revamped shop all clean an organized, This new production build has been a pleasure, as all the energy has been good.
This bike is going to have it all...
And the best part is, the frames and parts will be for sale,
so you can build and customize one for yourself.

Look for this bike on YouTube near the end of the month.
I'm going to show everyone what it's like to bang through the gears,
speed shift style, on a Fat Tire Lowrider Bobber Chopper Motorized Bicycle
and look cool doing it.....
.shft.

'BrettMavriK
"Today is Yesterday, Tomorrow....."

My New Logo Created in Adobe Photshop by Yours Truly.....Website Coming Soon!

Last edited:

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Thanks!
I was trying to create something 1950's like with a modern flare. Something that captured "motor on a bicycle", but didn't get mistaken for a motorcycle, all while staying extremely simple. Then I wanted the bicycle to look as if it was in motion standing still,
and then emulate the style I am into.
I think I nailed it...

'BrettMavriK
"Today is Yesterday, Tomorrow...."

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Prices and the Art of "Re-Cycling"....

Prices, and The Art of Re-"Cycling"...

Allrighty,
We are going to touch on my Master Plan for what I am creating that I want everyone who likes choppers to have;
A Killer Adult Sized Chopper Bobber MB (Motorized Bike) that they can build themselves, Which Is Half The Fun.

Problem:
K, Everyone who likes Chopper MB's just love the Big Fat Tire found on Schwinn Stingrays. So they go out and get an inexpensive Stingray off craigslist, buy an adapter kit for the motor that is available elsewhere, and go down the road. Then they buy the bent seat post to get the seat back further, and then get ape hanger handlebars and lean them waaay forward to give more reach. But face it Stingray guys.....
IT'S JUST TOO SMALL FOR YOU!!!!
The phrase between "monkey" and a "football" comes into my mind here...
At least that was my thought when I went for a ride on one. Loved the style however.
Don't you want to ride a bike that fits you?

Solution:
Mavrik Motor Bicycles Series One Frame "The Bobber"
- 5' Wheel base
- 25" Seat height (minimum) 28" (maximum) with Pedal Distance to the Seat Adjustment
- Provides fitment of riders ranging from 5'-6" to 6'3" with sliding seat clamp attachment style
- Spring Loaded pivoting motorcycle solo seat pan and cushion.(Better than any bicycle seat. period)
- Custom fitted for and ready for Happy Time 2 Stroke China Engines
- Custom Isolated Rubber Motor Mounts- eliminates engine vibration
- Custom Jackshaft Option- Yes, you can have a 5 Speed Chopper
- Front And Rear Disc Brakes Option - add safety by truly stopping on a dime
- All truly headache free and a Bolt-On Affair
- The most inexpensive way to build your own custom chopper that fits
- more kewl and inexpensive gadgets are on their way

The Art of Re-"Cycling"
-Now anyone who has bought a brand new complete bike online that they couldn't find locally was absolutely murdered on shipping costs. And then they still have to fit the motor which cost more.
The Wide Rear Rim, Tube and Tire can be found but it is hella expensive, and you still need the wide cranks to fit the chain around the fat tire. These things make the venture unfeasable.
-The Stingrays are out of production but they live on almost everywhere you look. Unpristine examples can be had almost everywhere on the cheap. Craigslist, the local flyer, garage sales, the side of the road, etc. These used Stingrays have almost everything you need component wise.
These bikes are not going to be restored and they will eventually make it to the dump in their lifetime....

Time To RE-"CYCLE" And Save Yourself A Ton On Shipping.

Here's The Plan:
- You go out and get yourself a decent Used Schwinn Stingray On The Cheap
- Don't worry about the paint or the condition of the decals, seat, etc.
- just make sure the rims are straight and the cranks, pedals, and chainwheel aren't rusted to oblivion
- Now dismantle the bike. "ziplock & coffee can" parts in groups and stow the wheels and cranks
- Now (here's the fun part) Grab a Hacksaw, Sawzall, Dremel , or Cutoff Wheel on a Grinder or Air Tool.
- Take one last look at that old "too small" kids frame, and put on your safety glasses and ear protection
- Start Cutting
- I need the neck tube, crank tube , and the entire square tube rear wheel cage assembly for your build
- Leave an inch of the frame tubing still connected to these parts, put them in a small box and send it to me
- I will do the rest
- What you get back is a Custom Chopper Bobber Frame ready for the motor and all the parts you removed
- Shipping me the small box of frame parts shouldn't be more than $10-$12
- Shipping you just a lightweight thin boxed chopper frame shouldn't be more than $40

This is way cheaper than spending hundreds to get a complete bike to your doorstep,
You are re-"cycling" (doesn't that feel good?) and you get a hassle-free
Chopper Bobber MB with all the goodies, options and add-ons,
and you get to build it yourself which is half the fun.

Everybody Wins!

Now as far as Pricing goes,
I am still in the design finalization process with this frame.
After I iron out the design path, costs, and production plan for material in quantities, etc.
I assure you this Chopper MB Will Be The Best Bang For The Buck !!!

Now, Let's get some feedback....I need to hear it as it would be helpful.

'BrettMavrik
Mavrik Motor Bicycles

Last edited:

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL

Another comparison shot to show the before and after.
Once I finish the spring loaded solo seat sliding clamp, you'll really be able to see the change in reach and stretch on my frame from the stock Stingray.

'BrettMavriK

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Heheheh!

It looks as though it would hit, huh?
It doesn't on either; in fact it has 5.5" of ground clearance.
My Orange coast chopper with its' low slung flame shock bracket and centrally mounted exhaust, which were lower, never had a problem either. Many custom motorcycles have much less ground clearance than that,
and at that lowest point they can be 16-18" wide.
Btw, that little excess tubing hanging lower on the front down tube will end up flush. It is being used now for tack welding the frame to a stand on the table for steadying as I work.

'BrettMavriK

Last edited:

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
I'm not sure they came out that early.
I think the Classic Stingrays, Orange and Apple Krates, Lemon Peeler, Pixies, Fairladies, Rams Horns, Fastbacks, Cotton Pickers, Pea Pickers, Grey Ghosts, Lil Chicks, Runabouts, Wheel-E-Forks, Purple Grapes, Stardusts, Deluxes, and also the Bicentennial had their run from 1965-1979.
When I was a kid, I had an Orange, an Apple, and a 1976 Bicentennial.
My grandfather, who I get my mechanical skills from, Loved them and bought me one every couple of years.
That is, until BMX was born... =-]'

'BrettMavriK

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Personally I like the neutral steering angle because sometimes you need to be pedaling like when you are entering a park with all the pedestrians after shutting off your engine so everyone flips out because this thing they see before their eyes is a bicycle!
I also like it because it looks taller and is remeniscent of an OCC bike in like the stretch feels like your riding on ape hangers yet you got straght bars.
Yea I'll keep an eye on this thread. It's looking real good.
I also see a whizzer engine.....

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Thanks, man
I would love to get my hands on a whizzer engine for myself....

That was the plan with this frame design; a stretched bobber with that lowrider appeal.
A relatively high neck so drag bars keep it looking low. With the seat at it's lowest point at the rear, your arms are level with your shoulders and you are slightly leaning forward. It's comfortable and it rides real well. The new rake is still mild like a bobber should be, performance first, and is now just a touch off nuetral. I'm also building my very own line of inverted shock forks that will be available soon as well. I may also do a springer front end if I can swing it.

I got more work done today on the build.
The tubing clamps that will hold the isolated motor mounts, adjustable jackshaft, and adjustable mount for the spring loaded solo seat are all made up, and they are bomb-proof. Then I built a new rendition of isolated motor mounts using a different isolator but they failed the test, so I had to scrap em'. I going back to the drawing board on that aspect with what I originally used on my Orange Coast Chopper, only improved upon. They were tried and true, so I don't know why I decided to get fancy and waste time.

Grinch- "That's what these tests are for!"

So, I'll have the new set made up tomorrow and I can move onto the jackshaft and seat.
Not much after that but running cables, wiring, whitewalls, and paint. The bike is themed after a Shelby Cobra.
I'd like to find the perfect rear bullet tail light for it.

'BrettMavriK

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Looks great!

For me, the Bobber look has always ruled...with the added benefit that they handle decently. The chopper guys can have their raked out overkill...meanwhile, I'll take a rider any day.

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Hey thanks, man!

Choppers are cool in their own right. They are a rolling art form with exaggerated lines.
They can be made to handle decently and controllably, but the extreme rake and long length forks are always on the edge of adverse handling. They go down the road in a straight line quite nicely. The drawbacks are at slower speeds, tight turns, or situations where you must react to circumstances on the road in a split second.
Overcompensating on a bike near that adverse edge in those situations can be a real big disadvantage.

Progress-
Allrighty, I'm back on track with my original isolated motor mount design. I picked up a 1' piece of tubing for the urethane bushings this morning. I'm going back out to the shop to finish them up today. These will still be "clockable"; meaning the engine can be rotated on the mounts to balance the angle ballet between the carb, chain opening, and exhaust down to the mm. They are offset and tucked under the motor (but can be flipped) and offer over 100 degrees of rotation each way. I'm going to offer these in different tubing diameters later, as they will make for a very universal mount with almost infinite adjustability.

I will have the motor and jackshaft mounted by tomorrow, then everything goes together quite quickly.

more to come.

'BrettMavriK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.