Sturmey Archer

GoldenMotor.com

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
Hey all
I am thinking of useing 2 of these hubs for a couple builds. 1 is a 3 speed from the 70es and the other is newish 8 speed. My question is will these hold up to the abuse of the 69 Happy motor ? Thanks for any real experience answers...POPS

alexander

Feb 25, 2009
new zealand
just done 10.000km on old second hand 3 speed 'sturmer archer copy shimano hub' used as a gearbox for a 31ccm gx honda setup and apart from the first gear giving up after 6500km i am suprised about the abuse it handled. but in a comparison of all gearhubs for sale on a website (Hubstripping : Internal geared hubs / Nabenschaltung / Getriebenaben / Versnellingsnaven / Moyeux a Vitesses / Vxelnav / Il cambio nel mozzo / El buje de cambio de alto rendimiento / Invendige gear nave go to 'the internal gearhub review') it looks like only the rohloff can handle permanent hard usage.set it up, use your gearhubs and if they brake put another or stronger one in because you have done the setup allready.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
One of my customers went around town to the local bike shops asking about this.

The Sturmey Archer was not recommended for anything powered...The one guy said he had gone through 3 on a customer's electric bike.

He recommended the SRAM. He wasn't pushing inventory; the unit had to be ordered. My customer ordered one, and I took it apart. It appears to be well made. They are made in Germany, so I guess that alone speaks for the quality.

I'm using it, mounted to the frame, as a transmission for a Spoiler. We'll see if it holds up.

Jim

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Good info Jim. We've been hearing the same on the SRAM.

Most people treat the Shimano 3-speed as a disposable. Don't have a lot of feedback on the Sturmey Archer but if they are copy ones......maybe disposable as well. I was thinking the earlier units are stronger, but don't quote me on that.

orbit222

Aug 9, 2008
I mounted akit on 1969 Schwinn Racer. Old Sturmy Archer 3 speed. The rear sproket was tricky to install but the ride was smooth. I abandoned the project 'cause the other combonentes didn't seem up to the job and it was getting to be a fortune to upgrade everything. make sure your breaks are up to snuff. The Sturmy Archers are the workhorse of internals- if you cant afford a nuvinchi it's the way to go.

As far as shimano- I've been riding a 7 speed nexus very hard on my road bike for 15 years with no probs at all. the trick to all internals is never shift while under pressure and after shifting power up smooth. if you never drop the hammer they last forever.