Aluminum bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
Hello All,

I was at my local bike shop buying new pedals for my shifter kit. I was broswing through their collection and i came across a commuter bike that is made by Giant Bicycles. It is an aluminum alloy frame, which they call their alloy "Aluxx". It also comes with disk brakes , fenders, spring seat and a rack with straps. Do you think that the bike will be safe with that engine and a shifter kit on it.

Here is the specs of the bike.
Hello All,

I was at my local bike shop buying new pedals for my shifter kit. I was broswing through their collection and i came across a commuter bike that is made by Giant Bicycles. It is an aluminum alloy frame, which they call their alloy "Aluxx". It also comes with disk brakes , fenders, spring seat and a rack with straps. Do you think that the bike will be safe with that engine and a shifter kit on it.

Here is the specs of the bike.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...le/2306/32161/

Will the engine vibrate the bike apart

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
The motor won't vibrate the bike apart, but you will need to be careful how it's mounted. The stock shifter kit mounts could cause pinching and deteriorate the aluminum frame. Search here for datz150's rotten orange build to see the mounts he made for his aluminum bike.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I'm building an aluminum bike with a shift kit. Spending time on mounts as to not have too much stress on any one tube. Trying to make them all adjustable so the load can be balanced as much as possible.

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
I'm also starting to build an alum bike with a sick shifter kit. I was also concerned about the ability of the frame to handle the stress. I might add some steel tubing half sections where the engine clamps to the frame.
Old Motorbike, Please keep us informed on how you are adding extra strength. I will also try to follow up on this post.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Hi Ya'll I'm reading all this aluminum stuff & I think that this could be risky. Before trying this out, I would consult with some real knowledgeable guy that can tell you whether or not this is safe. I say this because this hobby is just getting off the ground,and there are gonna be accidents with some these homemade bikes due to improper calculations,frame failures (metal fatigue) rear wheel spoke failure.and a host of many other factors. Higher speeds is another tricky thing,that may make this hobby get a bad reputation. I realize that everyone wants to optimize there bike to being better and faster. But this may prove to be the down fall of this very simple way of commuting, thus giving the authorities reason to make new and more restrictive laws governing there use. Right now most states hardly recognize these gas bikes. Bottom line is that if you feel the need to go real fast don't do it here, get a motorcycle. This quest for more and more could be the end of this hobby.

schwallyjdog

Feb 11, 2009
Bellevue Ohio
instead of drilling the frame I bought longer engine studs and bent them around the frame and used the stock mounts. My frame was too large for stock. I have a trek aluminum bike and have had no frame problems yet and I weigh 220.