How to cut cords????

GoldenMotor.com

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
Hey guys well i got my new clutch cable and break cable onto my bike and i need to cut the exceess cable and i was woundering is there a special way that will stop it flairing?? I have got the crimp things but thought if i just cut the wire with plyer it will fray and i woudent be able to get it in the crimp?

Any tips?

Here is some pics.

Attachments

AlphaLlama

Sep 23, 2008
Stockton, Cali
I had the same problem. I found that a dremel with a cutting wheel or thin grinding wheel
works good. Then I touched the end with a little solder to hold it together. It seems to be working great. Cheers.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I just use a sharp pair of wire cutters and snip it fast. Then I use a piece of shrink tubing on the end to prevent it from frailing.
Or I use one of those aluminum caps you slide over the end of the cable and crimp it on. You can get those at any bike shop.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I did the same as Easy Rider, new pair of side cutters and snip it fast. Then I twisted the cable end to 're-align' everything before putting the cable end on and squeezing it.

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
thanks guys, iv done mine. i just heated the wire up and put some solder around it then cut it quickly. the clutch cable wasent the neetest but works and the rear break cable looks like a pro did it.
Cheers for all ur help guys.

Mr.2Tcycles

Nov 13, 2008
Hawthorne CA
Sniped it fast the dipped in high strength epoxy and let it cure, then as a added measure crimped small electrical butt splice behind glue and snipped excess, just in case.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

A good SHARP pair of cutter would do it easily and neatly....Bike shops sell them and most hardware stores should have cable cutters.

Hope this helps.

Andrew