Hi From 'Tucky

GoldenMotor.com

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Enough lurking, time to introduce myself.

I got interested after my wife saw someone riding one and said, "LOL - Look at that guy mo-biking!!"

So after reading several posts on this site and learning some lingo, I told my wife that I had become intoxicated with the idea of mounting a china girl and seeing how she purrs.

So after I received my cardboard box from China filled with all sorts of doo dads of questionable quality I went to work, somehow managing to affix most of the parts in, apparently, the correct locations. Had some issues with the rear sprocket alignment (not PERFECTLY centered which caused some slack-tight-slack phenomenon in the chain) - but I got that fixed after several painstaking hours in the cold garage. I upgraded the standard tensioner with one that bridges the divide and attaches at two points on the frame. This way I don't worry about the spool getting sucked into the spokes under torque resulting in a very embarassing and probably painful.....situation.

Now I'm guessing my neighbors are assuming I got a DUI and I am temporarily relegated to using this "alternative" means of transportation. But I'm already a bare-foot runner, so maybe they won't be surprised by my latest quirky idea.

I've been getting AWESOME advice from you all, and so glad to have found this forum. Hopefully I can contribute at some point, and not just leech info from the experts..

Groove.

BoDean_LP

Apr 25, 2012
Jeffersonville, Indiana
Welcome to the forum. Good to have a Lexingtonian here. I have family all over Kentucky, so I go through there from time to time. Lots of places to ride.

I love the term "mo-biking". Never heard that before. I like the humor in your post, btw.

You'd be surprised at the responses you can get from neighbors. MB's draw far more positive attention than mopeds/scooters in my opinion. It's always fun to have neighbors and strangers come up to you and start asking questions.

Be warned, the desire to build and ride MB's grows the more you do it.

Another warning: Browsing the Forums on Motorbicycling.com May Cause Strong Desires to Build and Ride Motorized Bicycles. This Desire Can Only Be Subdued by Actually Doing So.

You have been doubly warned my friend. Now Go! RIDE! Ride like the wind!

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Thanks BoDean! If you ride thru Lexington look me up and we will BOTH ride like the wind! I am getting addicted to mo-biking and mo-building. You're right about the attention. When I come back from the grocery store or hardware store there's usually about four guys pointing at various parts of the bike and nodding.... Glad you liked my humor.. thanks.

edangel

Sep 7, 2010
seveirville tn
so where did u see this guy at i know when im out i get a lot of people checking out my china girl since i live in a torist trap well the smokies mountains lol i hope u enjoy ur bike ur wife might want one too

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Ft. Lauderdale! He had the engine mounted behind the seat though. I am building another bike in the garage but I don't think wife will be riding it. She hasn't even mastered the manual transmission in my mustang yet.. I think the next bike will be a neighborhood shared bike. Ten cents per rider. J/k..

BoDean_LP

Apr 25, 2012
Jeffersonville, Indiana
They make a centrifugal clutch for the china girls. They cost about $30, or $50 with the necessary wide crank. I'm thinking of getting one so that my girlfriend will be able to ride without having to have "clutch lessons". I'd like to have one on my bike just for the sake of being able to safely coast without worrying about lack of lubrication. (It's best to hold the clutch if you're coasting down from a really high speed, otherwise you're not getting enough fuel/lube in the motor.)

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Yeah bo Dean, I use the clutch quite a bit because it makes coasting smoother. If u try the bike you're describing and like it,et me know and I'll build one too! We'll ride like the wind, us and our girls!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Before you make the jump I'd suggest looking through forum threads and get a better idea of the ups and downs of the automatic. Not that many people have them as they are less available and of course cost more. Some really like them and have had no trouble. I liked the one I had just fine until it no longer grabbed and I just sat there revving the motor and going no place. The problem is that the clutch is not keyed to the crankshaft so if it loosens a bit then it will wear so that it no longer grabs. That is what happened to mine and I spent a good bit of time and effort trying to cut a key-way so I could use it again. Unfortunately I had already purchased a second automatic before the first one gave out and the second one never did work from day one. A truck fire burned both of them up so I have kept my distance since.

I bought mine from BoyGoFast and some people have had good luck with them and problems resolved without hassle. In spite of being cordial and persistent I never got satisfaction and ended up with two dud motors. I was out a lot of money and time and aggravation, so have had nothing to do with BGF since. Others have been more fortunate or didn't have problems. I don't know who else handles the automatic, but if there is a seller who will stand behind his product I'd pay a little more up front as insurance. When they work, they're great. Do some research. Maybe somebody is selling them now with a keyed shaft. That would make a big difference. I believe there are also kits for converting your standard to automatic. Look around and tell us what you find out. And good luck.
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I don't want to turn you completely off to the idea. As I said, I liked mine while it still worked and there are others who are quite happy with theirs. Just wanted to give you a heads up.
SB

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Yeah, I'm not super thrilled with BGF china dolls. I actually bought another one from LEB and it seemed better all around. I didn't even mount the BGF doll. It's still just sitting in the box. Maybe I'll use it to help me practice adjusting things on it - before I start in with the wrenches on my dolls that are already mounted. Once I get good at these engines maybe I'll try out the automatic versions..

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i personally don't like grubee but would buy there "automatic" over the BGF one because of the stories i have been reading about the engines from BGF lately