Hello from Pennsylvania!

GoldenMotor.com

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
BBB, I'm over in Steelton. Next to Harrisburg.

I just took the bike out for a couple laps around the block. It's actually the first time I've been on a bike in a few years. This thing's a beast. Heavy. I was very pleased with how it handled. And also that I can still ride without hands :p

I love the coaster brake, but I can see myself putting a drum on the front. There just isn't enough modulation in that rear hub. It's way too easy to lock up those pretty red treads.

I can't wait to get this thing motored.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
welcome PAracer ,bigbutterbean an I are practicaly neighbors , lets see that bike as the build progresses .
Gary

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Oh boy! I haven't even received my motor kit yet, and I've already started picking up hi-po parts for it. I placed an order for a Puch head.

If I can get the bike together, sorted, and looking right (get rid of the damned pnut tank), I'll be taking it to a cruise in here in Steelton. Might do Carlisle bike fest next year. I would love to bring the bike to the Hershey Fall Meet in 2013. Unless..... If racing at Sandy Hook resumes in 2013, I'll be there. :) I haven't been on a race track in a few years and I got an itch.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
As for what I see in the bike. I think I'm looking at doing a retro themed racer.

Already have the head on order, so the rest goes a little something like this:
Arrow exhaust pipe
Smaller pedal sprocket and short 1-piece cranks
Sportsman Flyer rear mount fuel tank
Front drum brake set
Maybe some homebrew stuff thrown into the mix

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Gotcha! Sorry bout that :)

So far the hard part has been the rear sprocket. The center bore was too small to fit over the hub. The steel was to hard for my hole saw, so I traced a line and drilled an array of holes to punch it out. I'll be spending tome time with a file to clean it up before too long. It looks kinda gnarly right now.

I'm digging the UPS packages that keep showing up with parts and toys. First the kit shows up on Wednesday. Yesterday the head arrived. Today I get a box from mcmaster. And next week I should get jug/head gaskets from Dax.

This weekend's events linup: Chain breaking (I don't want to use a tensioner), jug porting, head drilling, and engine painting. If it all works out, I might even be able to fire it up Sunday afternoon.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Well, I would have pushed harder to get this thing done this weekend, but I made a 2-stroke novice mistake.

I ended up snapping a piston ring when inserting the piston into the jug. I didn't notice that there are alignment pins in the rig grooves to keep the ring ends away from the ports. With the upper ring on top of the pin, I ended up snapping the ring in half. D'OH!

Oh well. I should be able to get this thing running by the end of the week.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Oh boy...

I buttoned the whole thing up today after work. But now it's getting dark, raining, and I don't have any gas. :( Tomorrow, we ride!!!

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
It lives!!!!!!! After a bit of futzing, it ran. It was getting dark, raining off and on, and I forgot that I had the choke on the whole time. But it ran! Sweet Jesus!

I'm trying to think of a name for this thing. Bionic Elgin? Elgintron 3001? Wheezy? Piece-of-crap?

fonzie

Nov 13, 2011
Dillsburg, pa
Hi PaRacer
Welcome.........I'm from Dillsburg, Pa. I was watching that bike on craigslist.Good buy! Hey, watch the base gaskets from Dax.......They are great quality but they are .058 thick compared to the .028 thick stock base gaskets. Will lower compression and change port timing. Just something I ran into and ended up having to change to get the full power back on the engine.
Have fun with the bike. If I can help with any parts, let me know.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Thanks for the heads up on the gasket! When I use it, I'll pull one of the head gaskets out. I have two in there since I upgraded to a Puch head. As I understand it, raising the ports slightly may actually be a good thing.