Hey I'm Rob new to the world of Motorbikes

GoldenMotor.com

SquirtLover

May 7, 2012
Ohio
Hello everyone, I'm Rob, I'm 20 from Cleveland Ohio and I stumbled upon the world of motor bikes on accident. I have a beat up road bike that I wanted to get running. I wanted to hook up some kinda engine to it for traveling around the city going to work. After searching Motor bikes I realized how big the community is and now I have a few questions concerning my first build.

First and probably most important, what kinda bike would be best?
I'm thinking a nice cruiser (I decided to buy a new bike and not use the old one)

Secondly I'm searching motor kits...there's so many, and I'm looking for the best 2 stroke around the $200 range. The Grubee Skyhawk seems to be on the top of most lists, but it'd be nice to get some views from long term builders.

Thirdly, I don't know anything about motors/engines so this will be a learning experience for me...if there is anything I should know before I start feel free to tell the noobie.

Thanks so much for everyone's help! I'm looking forward to starting this great hobby!

zatdattyo

Apr 13, 2012
Tennessee
Hey Rob Im new too! But I went to Bike berry and got the 49cc and im still putting mine together. There directions kinda suck but you can get plenty off this site so dont let that be a problem. If you get one of the new cruser bikes the motor fits perfectly in the center of the the bars. Mine is an old 26" Western flyer or Columbia skip tooth from way back in the 40s so it has a little more strech and the motor had more room than needed. I just had to fabricate and add, to take up the space. But it looks good.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Cleveland....my hometown! (Long time ago). Welcome.

Take some time and look around the forums and do a bit of reading. The Skyhawk isn't really any better or worse than most kits. They are all about the same, and you are better off buying one for less money IMHO.

Read this- http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=354 but keep in mind several folks, myself included, have built bikes without doing most of that.....it just insures more success.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. For a first build, steel is real. Use a steel beach cruiser or mountain bike. I would buy your first motor from an internet vendor, rather than EBAY.
The rest is personal preference. Do some reading on the site for you a while and you will figure outnwhat you want.