Which Motor, Dealer?

GoldenMotor.com

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I have purchased a new bike and have completely disassembled it for paint, precision tuning and choice part fitment all with a motor in mind. I have not yet purchased a motor and I'm having trouble sifting through the vast array of dealer claims. All of these motors have the same cases as far as I can tell from pics. Some claim to have Japenese bearings, small end roller bearings or needle bearings. I would think that they all have roller bearings @ the big end and the premiums have needle bearings @ the small end instead of a bronze bushing. What are the other differences? Some claim EPA compliance others don't. Is this important? Why? Above 49cc, actual displacement seems ambiguous. They range in price from $49.95 (the cheapest and self professed non premium), and "premium motors" range from $150-$350. I am willing to pay more for quality but it seems I'm not getting all the info I need to be able to make an educated decision. From the info on the websites that I've seen the $150 motor is the same as the $350 one. I know that these are inexpensive chinese motors and even the most expensive one is reletively inexpensive but who wants to pay $350 when they can spend $150 for the same thing. Please Help! Dealers Welcome! P.S. I'm aware that in text it can be easy to insult without intending to do so. I don't want to insult anyone, I just wish to have all the same info I would if I were buying a Honda, a Ford a BMW etc, etc. Thanks!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
All of these motors have the same cases as far as I can tell from pics. Some claim to have Japenese bearings, small end roller bearings or needle bearings. I would think that they all have roller bearings @ the big end and the premiums have needle bearings @ the small end instead of a bronze bushing.
I have had the bushed and the bearing engines, and engines from at least four different "sellers" and I can say I have found not a lot of difference.
What are the other differences? Some claim EPA compliance others don't. Doesn't matter unless you live in California.
Above 49cc, actual displacement seems ambiguous.
Yesh! Anywhere from 55cc to 80cc but all are around 67cc. Not a worry, they are just a bicycle engine to put around with. About 3 horsepower.
They range in price from $49.95 (the cheapest and self professed non premium), and "premium motors" range from $150-$350.
That's a funny thing...there are good dealers/seller and there are so-so, sellers. I have bought a Livefast 55cc "non-premium" engine kit and service was good, the kit has a few cheaper parts and doesn't have deluxe goodies, but beyond that, I can't tell any difference from the other engines I have had.
If you look in the "classic posts" area, there is a "find a dealer" there. That may help you too.
Thanks!
Welcome to the forum.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Thanks, That's helpful. I know it's not a "huge" decision but lots of times when I start something new I hear "you should have gone to ....... to get one" after I've already gotten it. It's an "I told you so" in disguise. I found your other thread on the subject and found it helpful as well.

DragonB

Sep 27, 2008
www.myspace.com
Got mine from Kings Motorized bikes (just engine kit), runs great, started right up and i mean right up, surprised me cause i wasnt expecting it to start that quick and almost lost it and crashed! lol, but as far as bearings i would think you would have to get them yourself and replace them all, just dont trust what the companies claim especially when they come from a PLACE THAT POISONS BABY FORMULA JUST TO SAVE MONEY!

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Thanks! I'm going to buy the cheap one and see if I can rebuild it w/ some descent bearings, a cylinder hone a piston and rings (maybe wiseco or pro-x have something). It'll be fun. I'm also going to buy a premium one to install and get going.