Unspoken rules?

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 19, 2008
Are there any unspoken rules in the motor bicycling culture? Are there any things that are frowned upon by the elders in the comunity? For example I have been wondering if completely removing pedals is accepted, because removing the pedals would be removing an essential element on a bicycle rendering it an under powered motorcycle.?.? This is just an example that got me thinking... what say ye.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I don't know if it's a "unspoken rule"... but I agree that if you remove the pedals, it's no longer a bicycle... It's now a VERY under powered motorcycle or a scooter!

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Removing pedals for sure is not only totally lame for the obvious reason (not a BIKE anymore) - it signals a couple three things:

a) mechanical ineptitude
b) giving up
c) total disregard for your fellow motorized biker, who may break the law, but does not actually flaunt it and thereby screw up any hope of being legal with some minor law or bike tweaks

Other than that, pretty much anything goes. Sometimes even farting.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes, unspoken rules.....uh, no, I don't remember any, maybe because I am an "elder".

Seriously, we aren't that serious about it. They aren't the cure for cancer, nor the fix for the economy, but these bike sure are fun!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Yeah, the fact that what we are riding is actually still a bicycle, allows us to "bend" the law a little...
If you take away the pedals, you're now riding a very slow motorcycle in the bicycle lane!
You'll also be riding a slow m/c with no plates, turn signals, insurance, & in many peoples case, a proper licence!

I say, "keep the pedals!" :ride2:

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
Be a part of the community in spirit and do what you want . Follow your own rules .

D.J.

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Beyond pedals, are there other "unspoken" rules?

I think the original poster makes an "unspoken" reference to some other forums where there often seem to be unspoken expectations. I, too, would like to... learn the ropes without getting rope burn.

Brenton

TwoWalks

Jul 13, 2008
Sonora Ca.
Beyond pedals, are there other "unspoken" rules?

I think the original poster makes an "unspoken" reference to some other forums where there often seem to be unspoken expectations. I, too, would like to... learn the ropes without getting rope burn.

Brenton
I wrote this one on a piece of paper to read before posting on forums.

My own personal #1 Rule:

"Do not post as a fact what you do not know to be true from personal experience."

Now if I could just find that stinking piece of paper. rotfl

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
depending on who you "talk" to on the 'net depends on what kind of answer you get. Pedals definitely seems to be something you got to have to be a bike, though there are learning/training bikes for kids without pedals.

Me, I think that you should have fun with your build- if that means taking them pedals off, fixing them in place or stuffing them someplace dark well, then- its your bike and your build.

I've got 3 builds going right now:
1 madwagon friction drive
1 black OCC chopper Schwinn getting a chinese 2 stroke it will have pedals
1 blue occ chopper getting a 49cc 4 stroke off a pocket bike with a 4 speed CVT no pedals. I'm registering it as a scooter- same regs in Mass as a motorized bike. I pay my $40 and I can ride it to my hearts content for 2 years.

Each is a bike to me, but then I have to finish the other two rotfl I'm too busy riding to get the others done! These things no matter what htey are- are the most fun you'll ever have on your bike.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I Si_vis,

I personally enjoy the out of the box thinkers. Also thought with out peddles it is no longer a bicycle until I saw one that was amazing! In the state where I live (CT) A "bicycle with motor assistance" needs not have peddles to be legal.

So, no, I do not think there is an unspoken rule other then play nice, don't curse unless it is funny and the whole running with scissors thing.

"Build it, and they will look at the pics"

If one is kind to their fellows, they have every right to speak. Same as the next poster. IMHO.

Post Script, great to meet ya!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
"Do not post as a fact what you do not know to be true from personal experience."

Absofrigginlootley awesome advice!
Empiricle testing is always best.
Bicycles (even Motorized bicycles) have pedals.

As for rope burn....there is none of that type of behaviour here. Learing the ropes should be informative and fun, not an exercise in anxiety.

LordMaximo

Aug 31, 2008
High Plains Desert, Roy UT
rotfl.........nice thought everyone........:crash:
The only rope burn that came to mind, was of one falling off the wire and getting their knees snatched out from under them as they went by......being the other parts got the quick and untimely stagering twang....OUCH.....that would really hurt!

I know here in my state, UT, if it has a motor, and we have rules on 98cc or less equiped rides, it still requires the proper credentials to even ride it on the street. Peddles or not. They past this rule back when the pocket bikes were the rage some 4 years ago. ANY type of motorization on two wheels requires all the same requirements as a full sized motorcycle.
So all you riders need to really study up in your states about what is actually allowed, and riders be aware of the possibility to getting a citation.
I once recieved a citation on my bicycle some 30 years ago, it was for passing cars on the wrong side of the road, and for speeding as well. It cost me $150.00, 15 hours of community services, and my auto insurence went up.
Now that really sucked back then.:p

Pull the peddles, that crank space is a good location for a jack shaft anyways.

Maximo