triple fire plug, etc

GoldenMotor.com

pedalchopper

May 9, 2010
Ft Myers beach Florida
Bought the triple fire plug from spooky...

What should be done about gapping thes/

Any experience with gapping with regular plugs on these engines. Instruct. says 3-5 but had success with 7-8 range

what are your thoughts? on triple fire and standard plugs

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
In theory, the supplementary gap sparkplug should allow an unrestricted flame kernel to project itself away from the firing tip.

That's the main reason for my interest in obtaining this type of plug to see if there is any noticeable improvement in engine smoothness or power.

Unfortunately NGK does not manufacture a supplementary gap sparkplug for Happy Time style engines, so i'm researching the issue, to try and find a reputable manufacturer that may have something similar.

Fabian

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
Ok, been doing some research, on alternative plugs to the NGK BP6HS that we seem to commonly use.

Cross reference part numbers and equivalents.

NGK BP5HS = Denso W16FP-U or Denso Iridium IWF 16 = Bosch W8B or W8BC or W8BP = Champion L92Y
NGK BP6HS = Denso W20FP-U or Denso Iridium IWF 20 = Bosch W7B or W7BC or W7BP = Champion L87Y
NGK BP7HS = Denso W22FP-U or Denso Iridium IWF 22 = Bosch W5B or W5BC or W5BP = Champion L64Y
NGK BP8HS = Denso W24FP-U or Denso Iridium IWF 24 = Bosch = None......................= Champion L61Y

Unfortunately, neither Denso or NGK manufacture a supplementary gap spark plug (multi pronged) to suit a 12.7mm thread reach.

Might have to update with some more manufacture cross references.

Fabian

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I am still in the dark about why anyone would want to use a multi electrode plug, it may have some advantage if you had a hot ignition/high compression engine, but really, who needs one?

Maybe there is a reason the big companies don't sell them?

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
They do sell them Bikeguy, but not in short thread reach, like the plugs or Happy Time style engines use.

An example of that, is the plugs for my motorbike (Suzuki TL1000R) which uses a supplementary gap sparkplug, amongst other high performance motors that have that required specification.
I could be completely wrong, but one of the advantages of supplementary gap spark plugs, is the ability for the flame kernel to have unrestriced propagation from the firing tip.

Fabian

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Thanks. I know aircraft use multi pronged plugs. I just didn't think we needed them with our very low fire iginitions. To each his own and happy shopping to all whom deem it needed.I personally run the stock plug for break in or until it fails, then just get an NGK for 1.99 at AutoZone.

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Here's my $0.02 worth on the 3 pronged plug: I'm of the opinion that as it applies to our HT engines it is mostly redundant. Electricity like water takes the path of least resistance. With the 3 prong plug the spark will simply jump to the nearest electrode. I doubt our ignition systems put out enough juice or of a long enough duration to be able to sustain a 3 pronged spark. In aircraft engines it's a different story. Much more powerful ignition systems combined with the need for added safety in case an electrode fails for instance. Planes typically have double or triple fail-safe systems.

However, there's always exceptions to the rule. When I was a kid I had an old 2 stroke dirt bike with an old ratty engine and on more than one occassion I had a bit of old carbon deposit from the combustion chamber lodge itself in the gap of the plug killing the engine. Had to take the plug out and remove the piece of carbon, put plug back in and continue terrorizing the dunes. With a 3 prong plug, well you get the picture.....

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Im with Meowy. There is only going to be one spark. I have friends who race dragsters and none of them use these style plugs, and they are trying to squeeze every .001 seconds out of their cars. Remember the old splitfire plugs that were popular in the 90's. The ones that claimed that they produced 2 sparks because of their 2 ground electrodes. That company discontinued them and only carry standard single electrode plugs now. Imagine that. I know they arent exactly the same as the triple plug but you get the idea. After you wear out the triple electrode one Id stick with the NGK. They are proven and easier to gap too.
Pat