hoping no question is dumb lol

GoldenMotor.com

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
well I am 53 years old , and still changing flats or tires on my bikes with a screw driver and pliers , any good tools - or tool - and not an screw driver and pliers . and a site that will show you the right way to change a flat or bicycle tire ? or am i stuck ?

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
There is a kit for changing tires available at wal mart and the like that has some plastic tools for removing or installing a tire on the wheel. Really similar to just using a screwdriver though but it won't scratch the wheel. That's about all I know of other than the green slime works pretty good for stopping flats.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Those plastic bicycle tire tools work pretty good and they are inexpensive too. They are also designed to not tear up the tube incase you plan on reusing it, unlike a screwdriver which can tear a tube to pieces if you're not careful.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Re: oh well maybe in the year 2525 there may be

oh well maybe in the year 2525 there may be a new way lol
Those plastic bicycle tire tools work pretty good and they are inexpensive too. They are also designed to not tear up the tube incase you plan on reusing it, unlike a screwdriver which can tear a tube to pieces if you're not careful.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The plastic tools from w-mart are awesome and almost indestructable.

Use some watered down dish liquid to help the really tough ones.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
back of a butter knife or for or spoon here. its not sharp, strong and durable.
Either you're not married or your wife is way easier going than mine. I would probably get familiar with the back of her hand if she caught me headed to the shop with her silverware in hand.

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
Either you're not married or your wife is way easier going than mine. I would probably get familiar with the back of her hand if she caught me headed to the shop with her silverware in hand.
im in college and got my silverware from walmart lol

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Before I broke down and bought those little plastic things, actually they came free with an inner tube I bought, I used to use the blades from a model airplane propeller. Not the wooden ones, although they might work too, I used the carbon fiber props, big ones made for the quater scale size engines. Dull the edges a little so they aren't sharp and they made great, nearly unbreakable, easily stored, tire/tube tools.
Tom

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I personally just use the box end of a couple of small wrenches usually 1/4 " or so. Just put the closed (Box) end of one of the wrenches under the lip of the tire and just push down until the wrench is into the spokes then use the spokes to hold the wrench then use second wrench to pop (lift) the edge of the tire over the edge of rim and just use your fingers from there. Easy as a cheap plastic tool and I have never punctured a tire or tube.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have asked plenty of dumb questions (especially about electric bikes), but have not been banished yet.