left side bearing plate on sbp shift kit

GoldenMotor.com

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I have been riding my bike now with the shift kit on for about 50 miles. Everything seemed all settled in- the chain tension and mounts all good. I noticed today after getting to my destination that the left bearing plate was bent. I check it continuously to make sure all is good and this happened in a matter of 5 miles. I installed the kit with 1/8 in of shaft protruding from the bearing and now it is just inside the bearing from being flush. I see the stiffner angle bracket has pulled away in the middle- only tacked on the very ends and the plate bent. I am pretty certain my mounting of the plates was very good. I used the square like the instruction said and had to adjust the left plate just a touch to get square in both directions. Is it just the torque doing this to the plate? I sent Jim at sick bike parts an email so I'm sure to hear from him soon. Other than that I am very pleased with the shift kit and the other items I purchased from them. Their instructions on the shift kit left no guess work and the quality (besides my problem) is top notch. Any ideas or experience with this problem?

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
So I just posted this after sending an email to Jim and I got to my email box and he has already replied! Now that is customer service! I just wish I knew exactly what caused it. They are going to send me a replacement but I wish knew what happened. Well if I never find out the cause I know I'll be shifting gears and be happy, very happy! I dont think any future builds I do can do with out one of their shift kits!

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Your replacement will ship today. My hunch is that the combination of the added weight of your trailer (and kid(s)) and possibly a poor spot weld from our supplier caused the problem. Not to worry, we will get you back up and running.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
I broke a front mount the other day. sent Jim a email and he got back to me within minutes.and sent out a replacement the next day these guys give fantastic customer service, outstanding.dance1

pdubs

Jan 16, 2010
chicago
good to hear its being replaced :D these guys are great at response time, and have helped me to get everything together :D

i havent got mine built yet, i just disassembled after a mock-up to paint things.
the only thing i can complain about it that darn gear shaft!! grinding and sanding had to be done to get the gears to go on smooth, plus the key way was drilled crooked, but it will work ;)