GoldenMotor.com

JohnDN

Nov 16, 2008
Ohio
Found something interesting!

"Hey Tinman,

I found a loophole.

Ohio law states :

4501-23-19 Assembly by person other than manufacturer.

Nothing in these rules and regulations shall prohibit a person other than a manufacturer from constructing, assembling, or equipping a vehicle so as to conform to the specifications of a motorized bicycle. Such person shall, however, comply with all of the rules contained in Chapter 4501-23 of the Administrative Code to the same extent as is necessary of a manufacturer.

R.C. 119.032 review dates: 09/12/2006 and 03/09/2011

Promulgated Under: 119.03

Statutory Authority: R.C. 4511.521

Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4511.521

Prior Effective Dates: 4/1/78

In other words, Make that MB a moped. Lighting- front a rear, brake light, horn, chain guard, mirror, etc. And when ready, take it in for enhanced inspection. They give you a VIN, get some insurance, register it, and you are legal. Talk to someone with some knowledge at the state, to make sure you're doing it right.
There's a "Going Legal In Pa" thread you should check out. Similar situation here."

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnDN

Nov 16, 2008
Ohio
I've never seen any of those around my area. Do kids do it? I'm sure they do. Is it technically legal? I highly doubt that, as strict as they are on motorized bicycles (which are much safer than one of those scooters). Is it enforced? That probably depends on the cops in the area.