Locktite

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Kevron,

Be sure to use the Blue Locktite...not the Red...for any of the fasteners on these kits.

I can't say where to use it, as I don't use it for my MB builds....I've never needed it.

What ever advice you may be given on this thread...just be sure to use the blue...it is serviceable.

Jim

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Jim speaks the truth. The red lable Loctite is a great product but has no place on a motorized bicycle. Once applied it is nearly impossible to remove without using excessive heat which can damage aluminum castings and threads before the Loctite softens. Like Jim, I do not use it, red or blue lable on any fastener on my bikes, never have, never will. Installed correctly with the right torque and care the fasteners, and everything else will remain tight.
Tom

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I used a SBP bolt upgrade kit on my motor. Use the blue on the intake and exhaust studs where they screw into the jug. I also used it on all the case screws that were replaced with socket heads. I wouldn't use it on the stock case screws though. You might end up striping the head if you had to remove them. I also replace every nut with a ny-lock. I ride my bike as hard and fast as it will go everytime I ride it. I hate breaking down and I'm kinda lazy. So it makes sense to me. I have about 2000 miles on my bike now and so far it's stayed tight and right.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i use anti-seize compound on anything that i need to take off. the top two threads of a spark plug, every bolt in the motor...

it's all a matter of feel. you know when it's tight. and then, you second guess yourself, and tighten it up some more. then, you're f'd...

locktight is just a gimmik. there's no need for it, if you have the right hardware.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I never use Locktite, for one reason alone - I take my bike apart WAY too frequently to want anything like that lol

TBH, I'm not a huge fan of nylocks either for that reason and others. While they are good for certain applications one of the things many fail to realize is technically yer supposed to only use them once. Repeated installation and removal compromises the nylon's integrity, while you can get quite a few uses out of them with our bike application I still prefer the good ol' lockwasher (these aren't "infinite" use either, but at least you can tell lol).

Obviously you shouldn't use a nylock in a high heat area, prolly should clean all the greasy nastiness off the threads to insure it seats properly, know that it'll mess with torque readings, and last but not least...

I hate threading the lil buggers on :p

There's only one real "solution" to the fastener question particularly on such a vibration prone application, and that's checking them before you ride :D

Last edited:

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Hm.... I have used red on all bolts and nuts....
Me too. I gotta laugh at those who think Red is totally permanent. It depends on how much you use. A tiny bit is certainly removeable and even if you use too much a little heat fixes that. And once you realize this a bottle goes much further than Blue or any other color. IMO these HT bolts need all the help they can get.

Red Rulz!

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I know. I've used Red when required, over the years with no issues. I mostly use blue but still the red doesn't make things permanent. Seems like a bit of overworry....to each his own worries. .duh..wee.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'm jumping in!
I use blue on just about everything just as added precaution, besides that I get it for 3.99 for the GIANT 1.22 oz. bottle.

For "red" I use Permatex part no.PX#27140.

I use the (really) non removable stuff part no. PX #64040 Sleeve retainer for things like the tensioner pulley bolt and other stubborn items.

I like to remove the studs, and re-seat them with red. That way I can torque them lightly and let them sit to cure. No danger of pulling the thread this way either.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
so... if red locktite can be removed with heat, and i use it on the exhaust studs...

see where i'm going with this? (smiley, winky face)
Actually there's heat and there's HEAT. The cheap chinese Red I got for $1 a bottle does keep exhaust nuts on (200 something deg) but easy to remove with a propane.

One trick is to double nut exhaust with Red on the outer one only. That way by using 2 wrenches the outer one comes off without pulling the stud. Then easy peasy for the inner which has no threadlock at all.

There is a SUPER HIGH TEMP red that works at even higher temps but it's outrageous expensive (too rich for my blood).