Loc-Tite or lock nuts - which is better?

GoldenMotor.com

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I use the stock nuts & bolts with the stock lock washers for everything!
I toss the flat washers & only use the lock washers everywhere.
I use red loctite on the engine mounts & exaust only...
I don't over tighten anything & I NEVER have any probems with the bolts coming loose!!!
After a few weeks of riding a new bike, I will "re-snug" all the bolts... after that, they're good for a very long time!

The trick is really to toss the flat washers & not over torque...

Finally the voice of reason. I was never particularly fond of those flat washers and they cause trouble sometimes when double nutting.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
**** wit that i use a washer on everything always. The trick, is to heat it with a blowtorch and put it on with the pliers you were holding it with first. If you are quick enough the nut resting on it will grab right on snug ;)

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Just a little info on Loc-tite. If you ever want to get the bolt/nut/stud off again use the blue, want it on forever use the red.

Don't use regular white Teflon tape (that's for plumbing anyway) look for the yellow Teflon tape that's used for natural gas/propane/etc. Used yellow on my petcock and it's never leaked.

Teflon tape or "pipe dope" with Teflon doesn't really seal threads, NPT fittings are tapered and the Teflon acts as a lubricant so the fitting can be tightened further thus getting a better seal. The threads on the petcock and gas tank fitting are not tapered but the yellow tape is about 3x thicker then the white so it ended up making a nice gasket. :)