so what was your biggest goof up???

GoldenMotor.com

bodydropped

Jul 9, 2009
atlanta
just wanted to see what everyones biggest mess up goof up or down right stupid mistake they made
while installing an engine on thier bike.

here is mine i installed the cable wrong on the carb and it was stuck wide open and at the same time the kill switch was not properly grounded this was while the bike was fresh new kit.
i wanted to test the bike so i took it for a spin when i fired up it darn near threw me off the bike it was revving like crazy i hit the kill switch and nothing so i reached down in desperation and grabbed the wires to the magneto (mistake) and man it lit me up it shocked the crap outta me. after the bike stopped running i just sat there laughing at how silly the whole thing was.

oh and another is the tensioner for the chain moved into the spokes on my other bike once and removed half the spokes and bent the rim,not so funny glad i wasnt going over 10mph at the time. dnut
anyone else??

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Nothing on that scale for me, but one time I started loosing power and bogging down above about 12mph. I pedal assisted and limped home only to discover I had forgotten to open up the choke. I also broke a chain once without a spare on hand and had to pedal about 8 miles home on an overweight single speed cruiser. I now carry pretty much everything but a spare engine with me and I have an engine at home in the garage.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
sprocket was on crooked.. tensioner got pulled just as the engine started.. broke 6 spokes and bent wheel.. put engine on diffrent bike.. will eventully get a new wheel for that bike, and put a motor on it tho

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
My first mistake was was not mounting my tensioner tight enough. The first time I tried to start the bike the tensioner flopped over. I got lucky though, the chain popped off the pulley and sprocket before the tensioner was pulled into the spokes.

The second mistake was made when I was fixing the tensioner. My chain stay was a little too small for the bracket, so I hammered the bracket a bit flatter for a good grip, then used some inner tube rubber to protect the paint and give it some grip. After riding for a while, I took the tensioner off to try and mount it better. There was just enough side to side play in it that the rubber had come apart, so the paint was messed up. And I had actually tightened the bracket down so much that I slightly flat spotted the chain stay on either side.

The funny part is that after wrapping the chain stay in electrical tape for grip, the flat spots keep the bracket in place :).