Carburetor question

GoldenMotor.com

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Ordered a new carburetor from Dax.You know,just to have around.Well of course I had to try it out.It did have a fancy drain screw and all.Original carb runs good and so does new one until you let up on the throttle,than it want to stall.Give it a little gas and it fires right back up.Needle came with clip in third slot from top.I moved it up one to no effect.Pretty sure it's sealed well.Thanks,Ron

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
you should be moving the c clip down, which will raise the needle and make it run fatter. This is what you want to do. Run as fat as you can. This will allow your motor to live a full life. Raising the c clip leans out the motor and will lead to a shorter life for your motor. Remember.. Fat is better. Lean is mean... Thanks.. Enjoy the ride..

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Cruiser:I did turn it in 1 turn,maybe it needs more.I'll give it a shot.Only tried it for a short time as I had a pedal fall off.No starter,No brakes,short walk.Spent 15 minutes in the dark trying to screw it back on and gave up.Got back to find The pedal threads were totally striped.Another reason for backup breaks!I have a front drum brake coming in the mail.
thatsdax:Thanks.I'll start thinking Fat.Ron

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
keep turning till it runs the way you want. if i remember right i had to turn mine a good bit till i could get it to idle and stay running when i came off the throttle.

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Cruiser:That may be the only problem.For now I have my old tried and proven carb on and it ran great for about 1/2 Mi. then it quits.Now I'm getting mad (and wore out from trying to start it)Checked gas level and it was good.One more attempt and it fired right up.I noticed my new gas cap is not vented creating a vaccuum in the tank.Upside:no leaking gas.Downside:Motor wont run,lol.I guess I'm going to have to drill a small hole in it.Thanks,Ron

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
sorry ran i am giggling like a little kid. i got mine done and pedaled and pedaled and thought i was gonna have a heart attack. for me it was it needed choke then i couldn't keep it running and that's when i had to work on the idle. i finished rebuilding this last time couldnt get it started. pulled in the driveway sweating and cursing and remembered i had disconnected the power wire. always fun with our motorized bicycles. sounds like you are close to getting it running the way you want and it feels good when you do