first engine kit

GoldenMotor.com

Chavo27

Apr 27, 2009
Indiana
is eBay going to be where I can get the best deal? How much am I looking at for an engine kit that is ready to mount and ready to go?

I assume I'll need the engine, another sprocket, gas tank, and a chain... Are there kits that come with all of this for under $200?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Yes there is just check with many of the advertisers on the sides of the forum. ThatsDax is a good one Bikeberry. I here that the 4 strokes are the least amount of trouble. The China 2 stroke is the classic look It looks cooler . They all work!!!! Your 200 dollar price range look over the 2 strokes. I have only tried the 2 stroke so far I really like mine!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the 2-stroke kits with everything youll need can be found from $99-$200
they come with engine,carb,muffler,gastank+line,sprockets,throttle,clutch handle,cdi,bolts,mounting brackets,plus more all in a box.
all you do is add a bike.
its better to use a full size 26" bike and make sure you have plenty of room in the v-frame.
and regular size frame poles are easier to install instead of oversize frames.
disc brakes are a plus but regular ones work ok too.
its also good to have a bunch of tools and spare parts like nuts and bolts and stuff like gasket maker and gas rated teflon tape around the house.
websites: dont forget to add shipping price and its diffrent for each one
thatsdax $ 98
gasbike $119
kingsmotorbikes $119
bicycle-engines $199
zone8cycling $149
bikeberry $119
sickbikeparts (parts only)
bikeengines (goldeneagle)($559 and up,but these are rackmount 4-strokes)
e-bay $???
take a look at each site,theres more than i listed,but i wont tell you which one to pick from.

Last edited:

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Only buy a kit that has the upgraded clutch lever on the handlebar .spr. and some other stronger higher quality parts . They should list them in the add , many do describe the upgrades as a promo . Upgrades are well worth looking for when you compare prices .

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I remember when I first got into this...188.99 plus shipping was a good deal on ebay....now thatsdax has 'em for under a hundred!!!!

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
I would use one of the vendors listed here myself, the kits come with just about everything you need. Most of the kits are the same, it really comes down to customer service, price and what upgrades they offer. For example some offer a bearing chain tensioner or no drill front motor mounts etc. Or if you're in CA. which ones will ship too you.

That being said, no matter what kit you get there are some things you'll want to upgrade. You can likely get by without it for sometime. But are better off upgrading some things, bolts/nuts, plug and wire etc. Some say the kill switch, I've had my stock kill switch for sometime, but it is something I'll do sooner or later.