spokes

GoldenMotor.com

jimbob

Mar 3, 2009
Illinios
Are breaking spokes common? I guess what I am asking,do we break them from the torque or bumps etc. our wieght?? I am waiting on the brown truck to deliver but am still doing research. I have all ready wired my spokes together where they cross on the back wheel, I have yet to do the front. My donor bike is a cheap (but new) Huffy Cranbrook beach cruiser. I am pretty sure it has the thin spokes. What may I expect? I will be only riding on smooth surface and weigh 190lbs. Advice anyone?Thanks Jim.trk

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I did the same thing fairracing31, I like my husky wheel, I did replace the bearing races even before installing with loose bearings, Im a big guy.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
W/ the proper hub and correct tension high quality 14g are strong enough, but a hq 13/14g butted, 12g, or 11g are virtually indestructable. 10g and under are unnecessary but look really cool and tuff. Drum/disc brake hubs apply similar forces and benifit from the same and since we don't need to worry about a few oz's it's less maintenance intensive than the smaller gauges.
jimbob, there are many spoke options and I offer a couple. Let me know if I can help.

Last edited: