MasterLink Chain Problems

GoldenMotor.com

DATHICKNECK

Jan 25, 2009
HAWAII
Finally got the bike running-so much fun better than sex!! problem is I keep breaking the chain because the master link goes flying. Is their a better way - I love it but I am always afraid to go far because the chain might fail.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you got the clip on the masterlink with the opening pointing to the rear on the top chain run? also do not run the chain tight need about 1" or so slack. check out the classic posts I show how to install and remove the master link
Norman

DATHICKNECK

Jan 25, 2009
HAWAII
When the chain broke I lost the whole master link, would it be better just to change the chain, we don't have a tractor supply store here. The replacement would be a #41 chain?

DATHICKNECK

Jan 25, 2009
HAWAII
Also, put a dab of silicone over the clip to hold it a little better....But I`ve never had mine come yet....The clip should go on pretty tight....
I lost the master link. Would it be better to buy a new chain.We do not have a Tractor Supply here. The replacement is a #41 chain right?

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I lost the master link. Would it be better to buy a new chain.We do not have a Tractor Supply here. The replacement is a #41 chain right?
When I was in the hardware store, I got a few master links just in case....I loose the damn clips when they go fling, trying to clip it on, and I never can find it again....Plus if you take it on and off a few times the clip will get kinda sprung and won`t be tight on the link anymore....JMO....dnut

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Why don't you just forget about the link?
It really is easy to punch out the pin and even easier to push the pin back into place.
I use vice grips and put a small nut on the backside of the pin so that as I squeeze the pin out with the vice grips, it has a place to go. Thsi makes the pin flush on one side of the chain and stick out a little on the other side. I then use a thin sharp punch and punch the pin out the rest of the way. Do not take the pin right out, just enough to be able to unhook the link. I lay the chain on a block of wood as I punch it out. The vice grips work really well putting the chain/pin back together if you do it in stages until done.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Why don't you just forget about the link?
It really is easy to punch out the pin and even easier to push the pin back into place.
I use vice grips and put a small nut on the backside of the pin so that as I squeeze the pin out with the vice grips, it has a place to go. Thsi makes the pin flush on one side of the chain and stick out a little on the other side. I then use a thin sharp punch and punch the pin out the rest of the way. Do not take the pin right out, just enough to be able to unhook the link. I lay the chain on a block of wood as I punch it out. The vice grips work really well putting the chain/pin back together if you do it in stages until done.

Dammit man, learn sumpin new every day....Good idea....bld.

DATHICKNECK

Jan 25, 2009
HAWAII
I will buy a #41 chain and forget the chinese 415 chain. The question I have is I want to purchase a Parks Chain tool which can fit this #41 chain. Which model tool do you buy without having to grind or modify the tool?