Yet another n00b...

GoldenMotor.com

1kbike

Aug 24, 2013
Missouri
Hello folks. I am totally new to this. Matter of fact I haven't even made my purchase yet. I am still trying to find a reliable source to buy a motor kit. Bikeberry was sold out of the kits I wanted (yes I plan on making two). I plan on making a purchase by the 30th of this month. I figured I'd sign up because I am sure I'll be looking things over and asking questions that haven't been answered already. Anyway, little bit about me. I am 35 and I do not have a vehicle. I walk or taxi every I want to go. I got rid of my gas guzzler a GMC Yukon and now I am sick of walking but I can't see paying for a car or gas any longer. I live in a fairly bike/motorcycle friendly town in Southwest Missouri so I am comfortable setting one up for me and the wife. Not to mention, these bikes are unique and cool and seen a few running around town. The setup I am pursuing is a beach cruiser style bike with an 80/66cc setup. Something in the lines of that.
Thanks for reading!

"Spencer's Corner" Youtube video brought me here.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. Electric, 2 stroke and four stroke kits are available. There is belt drive, chain drive and friction drive. Jackshaft/shifter kits are available that drive your pedal chain and allow you to shift the gears on your multispeed bike. Every type of kit has its fans on this site. The more you read on this site, the closer you will get to finding the right kit for you. My only advice is to get a four stroke kit if you plan to ride daily, so you will not have to mix gas and oil.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Welcome aboard.

During the time until you order, and then receive, your engines be sure to read, read, read these threads. And then read some more.

Click on any thread headline that looks interesting and stick with it until you're finished or you lose interest. Then click on another one.

In no time you'll have a notion of what engine/drive train you want plus you'll pick up very precious tips and tricks. They'll be worth their weight in gold as far as preventing you from making errors that stop you in your tracks.

Lots of good info to be found here plus helpful folks who are rooting for you.

Have fun.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. Reading is always a good way to get a grasp of what you might want to build and our search feature will provide you with plenty to read.
Type in a keyword/s and you'll be rewarded with pages of discussion on any motorized bicycle subjet you can think of.

Send us some photos of your projects when they start to come together,

Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

Tom

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
You came to the right place. I think it's the best motor bicycle website. It helped me a lot. My advice is whatever bike and motor you get, invest in heavy duty wheels with extra thick rims and spokes. On a pedal bike, light wheels are a premium, and do make you go faster, but when you've got a motor, the heavy duty wheels are the best insurance, and save you a lot of money in the long run.

1kbike

Aug 24, 2013
Missouri
Thanks for the advice. Also let me be the first to say that I REALLY do appreciate an actual form. I am old school when it comes to that and forms seem to be a dying breed. BTW I am entertaining the thought of buying this bike here. I am not sure it will still be available when I get paid but how cool would this bike be? Certainly it would be unique. I'd want to put front brakes on it of course but, hey I think it is cool. A Panama Jack cruiser.
panama-jack-.jpg

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I saw those in the store (walmart) today. They look interesting, but you've got your work cut out for you to motorize that. All the usual stuff. (check your hubs with real cone wrenches, reinforce the fenders with real steel brackets or ditch them, replace the coaster brake strap, add a front brake, find the mounting hardware for the engine if it's a china kit. Try googling it or searching here, see the reviews by people that motorized them. Probably it has been done already.

1kbike

Aug 24, 2013
Missouri
Thanks for the heads up happycheapskate. I think I am going to keep the build as simple as I can for the first build. I don't want to get into a nightmare first go around.

1kbike

Aug 24, 2013
Missouri
Ok, I just put an order in this morning for a kit from Lynn's http://custommotoredbicycles.com
Also I am going to go with the Huffy Cranbrook as well. After looking on here in the forums, seems to be the best starter bike I can find that's a reasonable price. However, I've seen others elsewhere warn that the fenders, especially the front one is a death trap and to either reinforce it or remove it. I will also be having some hands on help as well as this forum too. So I am feeling confident! I'll be sure to post pics once it all gets here and I get her going.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
By all means consider removing the fenders or securely reinforce them. They can be very dangerous and even if reinforced they can, and do, come loose and that can spell disaster. (voice of experience talking). And not just the front one.

Looking forward to see what you build.

Tom

1kbike

Aug 24, 2013
Missouri
Wilco on the fenders. I've heard them called "death traps" as well. LOL So yeah. Sucks they come like that but rather have a little water in my lap than a face full of pavement. BUT doubt I'll ride in the rain unless it is some sorta have to do or die thing.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Ok, I just put an order in this morning for a kit from Lynn's http://custommotoredbicycles.com
Also I am going to go with the Huffy Cranbrook as well. After looking on here in the forums, seems to be the best starter bike I can find that's a reasonable price. However, I've seen others elsewhere warn that the fenders, especially the front one is a death trap and to either reinforce it or remove it. I will also be having some hands on help as well as this forum too. So I am feeling confident! I'll be sure to post pics once it all gets here and I get her going.

Probably over 50% of us on the site have/had a Cranbrook as their starting point.......myself included. Just make sure that everything is tight and the bearings are well lubed with some high temp grease. I always seem to have some Lucas Red 'n' Tacky that works very well.

Also, make sure to add a front brake to your rig. Coaster brakes are kinda sketchy at the speeds these bikes can go.

Best of luck on your new adventure!!

1kbike

Aug 24, 2013
Missouri
Awesome. So, yeah if all goes right and I get it going. I'll probably do another one at the end of September. I would have gone all out but I feel it is better to test the waters to see if I am even going to dig it. I think I will but you never know.

1kbike

Aug 24, 2013
Missouri
BTW talked to the lady where I bought my kit. She told me it would be Monday before she can send it out. I am wondering how long it will take to get here.