hello from marietta Georgia

GoldenMotor.com

iskoon

Oct 28, 2012
Georgia
Hi My name Ian Skoonberg, I'm 19,and I'm a student at a local college. and I'm looking to build a bike to commute. I've spent the last couple weeks reading up and down these forums and I'm really excited to get involved in such a cool community.
so currently I have a couple concerns
frame: so I've looked around and as far as I can tell people don't think road bikes are the best option. My understanding from what I've gathered so far is that there is concern that the tires or spokes can go out on you. this seems odd considering that road bikes are designed to go fast I mean you can easily get up to 45 mph on a downhill without breaking a sweat. I'm interested in a road bike for a couple of reasons. A they have a lot more space to work with.B for the commute I'm looking at I really am going to need some extra foot power. There's a pretty large hill on a stretch that's got a speed limit of 45, and while the only traffic on the road comes in waves (there are some pretty long timers on the lights at both ends of this road) some people still like to speed on the road at close to 60. I don't really know how fast I would need to go to feel safe, but I'm thinking at least 35 on the hill, and from my experience riding bikes a road bike can blow any other bike out of the water when it comes to performance. so here's the question, are road bikes a serious safety concern, and is there a potential for extra foot power on a road bike, or will I not be able to keep up with the engine? (I'm also looking at a jackshaft kit how does having an engine attached directly to the pedal side gear system affect your ability to pedal at full throttle on the engine?)

engine: I've been looking at getting a two stroke 66cc skyhawk or a 4 stroke 49cc skyhawk. (not really set on a skyhawks it just seems to be what's available) it comes down to a few things, power concerns are at the top of the list though. To my understanding the little china engines are better on the performance end of things, but not on reliability. does anyone have a good grip on how much extra power I could get from a two stroke? would it be enough to get me going a safe speed up the hill in my commute? also as I live in georgia if I stay below 50cc I don't have to get it registered, pay insurance, and get a motorcycle license. are there any other factors you would consider? what do you guys think my best option is?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
First welcome to the forum, I too live in Ga. I have two 48cc 2 stroke bikes that perform very well, both are on single speed beach cruiser frames. One reason most choose a cruiser type bike is the larger spokes, if you are going to use the standard rag joint large spokes will hold up longer. If the bike you plan to use has a front disk brake that would be a plus, stopping a motorized bike can be a challenge. I don't think 35 mph going up hill will be possible, that's close to what a well tuned bike will do on flat ground with a stock 44 tooth sprocket. You will find a lot of people on the forum that get more speed but most have a been modified. So I say pick the frame you like and build from there, most people start with a basic build then add bits and pieces as they go along.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
I'm just north of you in Acworth, GA. Greg is right 35 up hill would be a challenge for sure. There are some bikes that have gears to help with steep hills but you would need what is called a jack shaft set up to have any type of gearing. From what I understand Sickbikeparts.com sells one of the best. They are advertised on the sides of the forum. Good luck with your build.