Different throttle?

GoldenMotor.com

SeattleMike

Mar 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Hey, I'm in the process of putting my new 80cc kit on my mountain bike, but I'm already pretty sure I would like a better throttle setup. The throttle feels like it is already ready to break, and it doesnt even fit my handle bars really, the plastic groove looks like it was for a smaller handle bar. Anyway, does anyone have a customized throttle setup, or know where to get a better one? Let me know, thanks!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i had to ship mine with rubber to make it work. i should be getting a new throttle set up this week from chris hill and will let you all know how it is. supposed to be way surpurier to the ones that come in the kits

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Not sure of where to get one but.....I have seen where builders have used a thumb shifter moidified to be a throttle control.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I do the thumb shifter thing on mine... If you want to keep your mountain bike gears it wouldn't be much help, but if you were willing to sacrifice on of the shifters they work great. You need to take it apart and file down the stops so that it just moves freely from left to right. I bought one of those cable stops and use it on the end of the cable after I slipped it through the shifter control.

I have a three speed shifter I'm going to use if I build another one for sure. I hate those kit throttles.

SeattleMike

Mar 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
That sounds pretty cool Deacon, could you post or email me picture(s) of your throttle setup? Or could anyone that has the thumb throttle post or email a picture?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
One my front mount bike I have a shifter type throttle- nice because it's a set it and forget it (for awhile) set up, like cruise control.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hmm.... Will not allow me to edit my post. Say's I dont have permission?

What I wanted to edit was I forgot to tell you guy's that if you use a ATV throttle. You will have to make a sleeve because ATV handlebars are bigger then bicycle handlebars. I just used a piece of coppertubing because it was all I had on hand. Cut to length, cut down the middle and slip over handlebars.

gp999

Oct 2, 2008
That sounds pretty cool Deacon, could you post or email me picture(s) of your throttle setup? Or could anyone that has the thumb throttle post or email a picture?
I got a cheap atb thumb throttle and it worked like a charm. Had to use a jb-weld imitation, the kind that comes in a tube and like plato. You rub it and it starts to get hard. Used that to fill the gap since cable was a little to long. I like the thumb alot better since I dont have to move my handle bar shifter. Plus the dual front brake lever from ebay ($11) works excellent. Brakes feel better.
cheers