when replacing motor is it better to buy the motor or the whole kit?

GoldenMotor.com

4wdingman

Aug 26, 2008
Coffs Harbour, Australia
HI I live over here in Australia a whole new kit is $235.00 but the motor is $140.00 If I wanted to replace the motor it would be cheaper than buying the whole kit but then when things start to go it will cost be more money to replace them.
My question is, is it better just to buy the whole kit and then have spares or buy the motor??

Thanks

mralaska

Aug 16, 2008
Deerfield, NH
If you replace the motor, you will have plenty of spare pieces already. The only way I would replace the motor is if I were carrying a spare on a long tour or something. Most of the pieces of the motor can be purchased for repair purposes. The non-motor pieces in the kit I would not bother having spares for their own sake. If you want a spare sprocket, get one a different size. If you want a spare chain, buy an upgrade. If you want a spare tank, make one from scratch. Cables you can scavenge. Most things you can fabricate or make do from locally available stuff.

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
What happened to your motor? They are relatively easy to repair / rebuild and the parts are not very expensive. I would recommend repairing / rebuilding the one you have. Not much cost for a vast amount of knowledge of the engine you rely on to get you home. Plus while you are in it you can make timing and carb improvements that will make performance much better than stock. :D

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
there nothing wrong with my motor I just wanted to know for in the future when it does goes..
Build a 2nd bike so when you have trouble with one you can ride the other while waiting on parts. I now have 3 and ride them all. Friends love it when they can go ride one with me. Have fun...:ride2:

Merlin

Sep 17, 2008
It never hurts to have a few spares around :)
LOL

Perhaps you could buy a complete kit for your second motor, then just the bits you need from there...