Clutch arm questions

GoldenMotor.com

Stratman

Jun 12, 2010
Orlando, FL
Yes, by exerting pretty good force using thumb, the plate lifts, and goes out of gear. So I just need to make some adjustments then and pull the cable tighter and readjust the brass stop, also probably some adjustments at the clutch handle.

Any other suggestions?

You make a good point with the o'clock discussion, you are referring to a straight clutch arm.

Thanks so much for y'alls help, really appreciated.

Brad

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If this is a new motor ,the disk could be stuck to the clutch plate,,Not a serious problem,,,...........question,, can you pull any more free play out of the clutch cable?( I see the small spring isn't applying any pressure,too short)............THE CABLE being new (and cheap) may be allowing stretch so pull all free play out,when it starts operating then re adjust a little

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
How did I get to page three ,lol,,,,I was answering Q's from page 2..........you might stretch the small spring so that it will hold pressure between the clutch arm and the housing stop ,,,helps stop viabration and wear from vibration, and other wear on the contact of the clutch arm and bucking bar

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
If stretching the spring won't work, ge a brake noodle from a V-Brake:
bicycle brake noodle items - Get great deals on Sporting Goods items on eBay.com!

Or, if you have access to it, that thin hydraulic brake line.

Cut it to size & route the cable through that. Hopefully (maybe with the help of some hardware fitting, like a cupped washer) it'l hit the spring and act as a spacer.

BTW: Its supposed to take great deal of force to pull that arm. If you can do it with your thumb, you're good. Seems almost like the delicate arm would break, but it doesn't. Too loose and it won't go in gear all the way. All that force you're feeling helps keep that wheel stuck to the clutch, or it would slip.

Last edited: