What spares do you keep on hand?

GoldenMotor.com

nolan_speed

May 31, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hey everyone, I just bought a Bike that's already been assembled with a Chinese 66cc motor and I've been working out the kinks so my girlfriend can use it to commute 6 miles each way to work over hilly terrain.

First off, what type of spare parts should I keep on hand? I know I'll need a couple extra spark plugs and I was thinking a set of clutch pads as well. Any other parts that go bad often and I should keep on hand?

Also, I'm about to build a cargo bike and I was thinking that a motor on it would be pretty sweet, so I think I'll order an engine kit for that as well, maybe even a shifter kit in the future. The motor I have now appears to be the "slant head" engine with the spark plug pointing forward rather than straight up, are the "slant head" engines more powerful? Also I noticed that it looks like there are a couple of head gaskets or a thick one on there and I was wondering if anyone has installed a thinner gasket for more compression? Can these cheap engines handle the added power?

Thanks for the help everyone!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
There's much truth to that Cabinfever, 'cept ya might end up using your "spares" to build another MB... then get another spare parts kit... then build another...

It's a vicious cycle lol :p