• 36 tooth

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Other (Reply with your preference)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
Getting a 36t sprocket pretty soon and was just wondering.....anyone have on that could tell me how it rides? I'm no big guy around 145lb and live in NJ so I've got moderate hills with the occasionally really steep hill but the thing is, I've got a lot of run up room so I could big up some speed before hitting most of them. Anyone have any opinions they wanna share about their 36t? Pros/Cons? Speeds?

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
I run a 36T but have a modified motor. If you want to run it get a pipe like one sold by sbp, it made a difference in torque pulling up the hills and was worth it. The more you can do to you're motor to enhance the torque(compression, port cleanup/porting pipe , carb) the better it will pull IMHO.

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I run a 36T but have a modified motor. If you want to run it get a pipe like one sold by sbp, it made a difference in torque pulling up the hills and was worth it. The more you can do to you're motor to enhance the torque(compression, port cleanup/porting pipe , carb) the better it will pull IMHO.
Yeah I have the SBP pipe and air filter so I think I'll be good in that area. I hope I don't compromise a ridiculous amount of off line the power with the 36t. I like the fact that I'll be able to cruise at 30 easy though. What are your mods? How about your cruise speed?

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Modified puch cylinder head(recut combustion chamber and cc'd), modified dellorto 16mm carb, mallosi filter,sbp pipe, match and blend ports,cases and manifolds. It will pull away allbeit slowly from 10mph. I redline at 31 mph with 26'' wheels but I am thinking of going to a 33t sprocket it has so much power now. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
I have a stretch cruiser with a Starfire 66, SBP expansion chamber, and a 40 tooth sprocket- Bike goes 40mph and I weigh 216. I don't know how it works, but my MB kicks some serious Ass! Any of the guys from the L.A. rides will tell ya that. It rolls out of the hole really fast too, it seems that the 36 tooth sprocket on a heavier person will be slower out of the hole and then gain some speed down the road.

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
What rpms are you running? I have a tach and run the stock 6000 rpm at that speed so you are running either very high revs or?
It seems to me I'm runnin at moderate RPMs. Not revvin to high at all, there's actually a speed point of about 32mph where the motor just purrs consistantly. When I'm rollin with traffic at 38mph + the bikes just cruisin and I'm at 3/4 throttle. I've opened it up all the way on long flat straights at high RPMs and I was rollin so fast I didn't feel safe on the thing. We use our local digital speed trap to clock ourselves and our speedos on the bikes. The last MB Venice beach ride I was cruisin {just cruisin} up a hill side by side with a car checkin me out and I yelled at the guy "How fast am I goin"? and he said 33mph. Again, I was just cruisin at 3/4 throttle. I do have a cafe fairing on the front of my bike of which I'm sure cuts down the drag of my body against the wind.

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Hmm, If you calculate the numbers to get 40mph with the tpical 4.1:1 primary ratio(between crank and clutch gear) and a 40t sprocket it works out to 8487rpm on a 26'' tire. Unless the starfire has a different redline or different primary ratio you would be screaming along for sure.................

The 26incher

Dec 19, 2009
Pepeekeo, HI
I know mine spin's like a top and I can (almost) keep up with Longhair! He has better top end (not much) but I pull harder out of the hole...

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I have a stretch cruiser with a Starfire 66, SBP expansion chamber, and a 40 tooth sprocket- Bike goes 40mph and I weigh 216. I don't know how it works, but my MB kicks some serious Ass! Any of the guys from the L.A. rides will tell ya that. It rolls out of the hole really fast too, it seems that the 36 tooth sprocket on a heavier person will be slower out of the hole and then gain some speed down the road.
Ive got the expansion chamber as well along with the air filter on my Schwinn beach cruiser. I'm excited to see how fast I'll be cruising with my 36t and adapter from MM. I've been looking around and people have been saying the 36t would give me a nice low RPM cruise.

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
Getting a 36t sprocket pretty soon and was just wondering.....anyone have on that could tell me how it rides? I'm no big guy around 145lb and live in NJ so I've got moderate hills with the occasionally really steep hill but the thing is, I've got a lot of run up room so I could big up some speed before hitting most of them. Anyone have any opinions they wanna share about their 36t? Pros/Cons? Speeds?
i run a 36t on a stock 66 cc i weigh 190lb i get speeds of 43 to 45 on the straights 22 up most hills here in New Hamshire!!!!!dnut

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I put 40T sprockets on all my bikes... they seem to be a good compromise between speed & low end power that works well with most HT engines.

I've used 36T's on a few bikes, & yes they're faster on the flat, but you lose a lot of pull going up hills.

After riding these bikes for a few years, I've gotten over the need to go real fast every day. Now I like to cruise & enjoy the ride!
The only time I ever need to go real fast is on our MB club rides... (If you aren't fast, you get left in the dust!!) ;)

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I put 40T sprockets on all my bikes... they seem to be a good compromise between speed & low end power that works well with most HT engines.

I've used 36T's on a few bikes, & yes they're faster on the flat, but you lose a lot of pull going up hills.

After riding these bikes for a few years, I've gotten over the need to go real fast every day. Now I like to cruise & enjoy the ride!
The only time I ever need to go real fast is on our MB club rides... (If you aren't fast, you get left in the dust!!) ;)
Do you think the smaller sprocket would put too much strain on these small engines while going up hill? I mean NJ has got hills but some are pretty steep. The good thing is we have run up to the hills so that might give me a window of opportunity to speed up before hitting them.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I'm with Venice. I've got a 40T on my bike and let's just say that we're both on the heavy side. I've got a 36T on the way which I'll probably put on a lighter bike. The 40T pulls me up the hils in my area pretty well. It's definitely not a rocket out of the hole but, it does okay.

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I'm with Venice. I've got a 40T on my bike and let's just say that we're both on the heavy side. I've got a 36T on the way which I'll probably put on a lighter bike. The 40T pulls me up the hils in my area pretty well. It's definitely not a rocket out of the hole but, it does okay.
Yeah I think I'm gonna stick with the 36t. I mean I know I'll loose a lot of power of the line and up hills but I'm not really racing anyone and don't mind pedaling a bit. And like I said before here in jersey we've got a lot of straights leading up to hills so it'll give me some run up. Can't wait to see what speeds I'll achieve. xct2