Break-In Procedure

GoldenMotor.com

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
Hi, I would like to start a new thread all about how to properly break in your engine.
Which way is right? Which way is wrong? How have YOU broke in YOUR engine? Do you reccomend your style? Do you regret anything? Please feel free to leave tips. I still need to finish my bike and I want to know how to break it in. Thanks!
scratg

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I agree with everything in the link above!!!

I use 24:1 mix for the first 2 gallons & ride the heck out of it!! (always warm up the engine completely before going to WOT!!!)

Then, after the two gallons of 24:1 mix, I switch to 32:1 for the life of the engine.

My engines all run strong & fast using this method!!

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I used fossil oil at 20:1 for the first 2 gallons, then fossil oil at 25:1 for the second 2. Then I went to synthetic oil at 30:1 although that may be a little too thick. The reasoning is that the fossil oil will allow the engine to wear in properly. Then you switch to synthetic to keep it from wearing out.

As far as use I would say to take it easy for the fist half hour or so. If there are any major problems with the build they should show by then. From there ride it like you are going to normally.

brnot
.wee.
.duh.
.dnut

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
I fired up my last motor and it was suggested to let it sit at idle for 30 min in front of a box fan, i let it sit in front of the fan for about ten minutes at idle and took off, for the first 4 tanks i ran 24:1 and never held the throttle and a steady speed for to long, what i mean is i constantly feathered the throttle, i speed up for a few minutes and than let off and slow down for a few, than i speed back up but i kept away from WOT for too long for the first hundred miles or so, and my motor is a torque monster with a 36t sprocket and it is very responsive with Jims intake and a breathable exaust, Good luck and welcome to the forumn!!!

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
I broke in mine with synthetic 2 stroke oil.. 24:1 during break in.. Never rode it longer than 30 minutes.. After break-in Im using 32:1.. Running strong and fast.. ; )

dance1

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i used Opti-2 at 60 / 1 ratio, and full throttled it from day one. i also took the time to basically blueprint the motor before i ever installed it, and then i put it on backwards.

i'm running about 80 / 1 right now, and the motors three weeks old with a few hundred miles on it.

almost all of those miles are WOT.

i don't recommend my method. at least not yet. if the motor lasts a few thousand miles, then i'll recommend it.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Vary the throttle amount and engine speed.
Don't do a lot of closed throttle downhill runs. (never a good idea with a two stroke).
Check your plug after the first 15 minutes if all else is O.K., sooner if it's not. (to make sure your mixture is close).
Don't go far from home for the first hour of operation, though you'll likely need to tweak the installation, not the engine itself beyond maybe a carb adjustment.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
basically, when you're going fast downhill with the clutch in, no throttle, or engine braking, since it's not getting any gas, it's also not getting any oil. so you're doing 40 downhill with a piston scraping all the oil of the walls.

if i'm coasting down a hill, i usually "blip" the throttle a few times, just to give it some lube...

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Anyhow, short idling periods especially with air flowing over the engine will hurt nothing. However, idling your new engine in front of a fan for a long period can glaze the cylinder, or worse. It's just not a good idea.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Hi, I would like to start a new thread all about how to properly break in your engine.
Which way is right? Which way is wrong? How have YOU broke in YOUR engine? Do you reccomend your style? Do you regret anything? Please feel free to leave tips. I still need to finish my bike and I want to know how to break it in. Thanks!
scratg

I break in with 50:1 marine oil and do not baby it. I did this with 7 of my own engines and dozen or so I broke in for others. Some of these have many thousands of miles now and none ever seized or wore prematurely.

Once I accidently idled a HT for 48 hours straight til gas run out, didn't seem to have any effect.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That has to be an epic story, I have to hear it!!!!

I know that many air cooled engines (without cooling fans) can idle for a long time without overheating, like the flat head Harleys of day gone by.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
That has to be an epic story, I have to hear it!!!!
I intended to "cook" the paint off for a few minutes like I do all new engines and simply walked away and forgot. Couple days go by and I was suddenly aware of a deafening silence. Went outside and found a hot engine that just ran out of gas. I'm amazed it idled so long w/o stalling.